Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cardamom Cookies (Eggless)

Did I ever tell you I love cardamom. If not, here is my confession. I love Cardamom. I guess that goes to most of Indians. When Priya announced her 'CWS - Cardamom', I was ecstatic because I could send her so many of my posts from my archive. But, I wanted to make something special just for her event since she is such a sweetheart and is so prompt in sending something for I believe every event hosted. I have no clue how she manages to cook as much as she does. Many people I know cannot understand how I manage to cook what I cook, but if she has left me clueless, just imagine. Thanks Priya for the support you have given my events. I appreciate it.
All these pictures were taken in the night with flash on. 

Coming to the cardamom cookies, I tweaked my pie crust recipe added cardamom, increased the sugar, added some baking soda, topped with raw sugar to get these cookies. So, recipe is not complicated at all. Here it goes..

Ingredients:
  • All purpose flour - 1 cup
  • Sugar - 1/4 cup (You could increase this to 6 TBSP since it was perfect but not too sweet cookie)
  • Salt - 1/4 tsp
  • Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
  • Shortening - 2 TBSP
  • Butter - 4 TBSP
  • Milk - 3 - 3 1/4 TBSP
  • Cardamom - 8 - 9 pods powdered
  • Coarse sugar or raw sugar - 1 - 2 TBSP for topping the cookies.

Method:
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat mat. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Add butter, shortening and using a pastry blender or forks, mix till it resembles coarse meal. Add milk slowly and make a dough. At this point, you can cover and refrigerate till it firms up. I used it straight as is. Since the dough is sticky and I didn't want to add more flour, I rolled the dough between two sheets of wax paper. Roll it to 1/4 " thick or less if you want crunchier cookie. Cut with desired cookie cutter and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Take a toothpick or a wooden skewer and prick all over. Sprinkle coarse sugar and bake for 9 - 11 minutes. The bottom should be golden brown and the edges should've started browning. Keep an eye on it since it depends on how thick you've rolled the dough. Cool on the wire rack. When you take the cookies out of the oven, it might seem soft, but will set nicely once cooled. These tasted great as is, but will go very well with a cup of milk.
These cookies along with the following goodies are on their way to Priya's 'CWS - Cardamom'. Thanks for such a wonderful choice Priya.
Sourdough Banana loaf with almond butter
Mango Bread
Vegan Almond Cookies
Ricotta Cheese Doodh Peda
Ragi Banana Paniyaram
Multi Grain Banana Bread
Mango Mini Muffins
Pear Spice Muffins (Pictures for these are just horrible)
Date Cake with Coconut
Besan Laddoo
Rave Unde/Rava Laddoo
Coconut Almond Cookies
Dry Fruit Cookies

And for those who take time in leaving a comment in any or every post, I thank you. I don't really try to go back to comments section and thank you all since I can't expect a person to come back to the comment section just to see what I wrote in a reply. Come on guys, ladies I don't think any of you have that kind of time. So, I am going to make it a point to thank you in the post regularly. I promise.

Happy Baking!! Pin It

24 comments:

  1. The cookies looks so perfect and crispydear..Even I love the smell and flavor of cardamom .

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!!
    Cardamom cookies looks perfect...
    Perfect entries for the event :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh.. the cookies look so perfect!

    And yes, i'm one of those who wonder how u manage to cook rather bake so much....

    I do cook 3 meals separately almost everyday, but just cant manage to ofin time for baking.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice!! They look crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cardamom cookies look divine sister! I am a big fab of cardamom too. I am making something for this event as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking cookies, a treat to the eyes and the tummy :):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this does look delicious,..and i am gonna try this soon,..

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look lovely and crispy too :) Thnaks a lot bcoz otherwise I wouldn't have known about Priya's event :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely looking cookies and the smell of cardamom must be making it even more tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Champa,

    I left you comments yesterday, I am sorry if I confused you. Another nice baked product from your kitchen. I love cardamon too. Lately having it with tea is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very tempting cookies and nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cardamoms too... and these cookies look so good:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Champa ,
    I just sent one more entry.Please check your mail.All togehter 4 entries from me for this weeks bake-off

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey u have a wonderful space...the cookies lok so crisp .i make this with wheat flour..give a try...wil post the recipe soon..u r a master 2 baking...keep the good work dear..i m following u...do drop @ my blog..just started blogging...comments/suggestion appreciated...happy blogging...
    sanyukta gour
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scrumptious cookies, looks prefect for me...Thanks for sending to CWS..i got ur mail and replied u..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cookies look lovely and crunchy and mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This reminds me of true elaichi cream biscuits:)Love the aroma of cardamom and it is eggless..bookmarked it

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cookies look divine. Will give these a try. I have a question for you Champa. Can I substitute Shortening with anything else?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Swapna, Shortening is same as Dalda in India if you are in India. You can actually use butter in its place but if you do, reduce the amount of milk since butter already has water content. It should come out fine and the cookies might spread a little whereas shortening will not make the cookies spread. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Champa for a quick reply. I will see if I can get a small pack of Shortening, if not, I will use butter and reduce the amount of milk. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey champa, tried these cookies and it was a hit, i jus placed a choco chip in the middle of each cookie, they were divine!!!! u have a great space and i have bookmarked the rye cookies next!!! will post some pics of cookies and the muffin in my blog and link back to urs for the recipe!!!!

    thank u for visiting my space and for the lovely comments!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. PriyaVaasu,
    Thanks for leaving feedback. These comments are what make me motivated to try something new and post it. Enjoy the cookies.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.