Sunday, January 24, 2010

Besan Laddoo

Besan Laddoo or Chickpea flour laddoo is one of my favorite sweets. My mother used to make them often when I was growing up. I decided to make them for my MIL's birthday party. Here is the recipe I make with..


Ingredients:
  • Besan or Chick pea flour - 4 cups
  • Sugar - 4 cups (Measure and powder in a dry grinder)
  • Ghee - 2 cups (You can use 1 1/2 cups and try it too, but you'll get dry crumbly laddoos)
  • Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
  • Broken Cashews - a big handful 
Method:
Heat couple of TBSP of ghee from the 2 cups you have measured and roast the cashews in it. Keep aside. Take a big skillet preferably non-stick and slowly dry roast the besan. About 3 to 5 minutes later, add all of the remaining ghee and keep stirring. Mixture will sort of become liquidy, but keep stirring till nice smell starts to come and besan changes color slightly. It is at this point that ghee starts to separate from the sides of the pan.Now, turn off the heat and add powdered sugar and stir well. Mixture will be dry now, keep mixing well and at the end add the fried cashews with the ghee that you used to fry them to this mixture, powdered cardamom and mix well. When the mixture is still warm but not too hot for your hands, start making the balls and keep them on a plate to dry. Besan laddoos are ready to serve. You can use the same proportions and method to make laddoos out of urad flour, moong flour too.
For the above mentioned proportions, I got around 48 laddoos. One of the variation my mother makes is the addition of raisins with cashews. I do it sometimes, but not always. Just roast them in ghee with cashews and add it to the mixture.

Happy Cooking!! Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Besan ke ladoo is one of my fav sweets. Yummy and tempting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhaaa..nange eega bayalli neeru bartha ide laddoo nodi..yummo! I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its my favorite.Your laddoos are really tempting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow my all time fav sweet...Tempting one dear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks yum,,my mother prepares this

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.