Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Coconut Almond Cookies

When I came across 'Global Kadai' a new event started by Cilanthro, I was very much interested in participating since I consider myself very good at 'Indianising' any recipe that I come across. Announcement of this even can be found here. The challenge was to Indianise a 'Chocolate Mexican Wedding Cookies' recipe which was given in the announcement.

I made lot of changes and here is my version of it. I cannot call it anything near chocolate since I did not use any. Here it goes..


Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup butter softened,
  2. 2/3 cup confectioner's sugar (I doubled the sugar since I was omitting chocolate)
  3. 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
  4. 1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut.
  5. 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  6. 1 cup ground almonds
  7. a pinch salt
  8. 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar for rolling the cookies
Method:
In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 cup of confectioner's sugar until creamy. In another bowl, combine flour, ground almonds, cardamom powder, coconut, salt. Stir well. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter sugar mixture. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 - 2 hours or until firm. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape dough into 1 inch balls (I made mine smaller). Place balls 1 inch apart and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until cookies are firm to touch.( Even though I made my cookies so small, I had to bake for 17 minutes) Cool 1 minute on the baking sheet and the transfer to a wire rack. I just pulled my parchment paper on to the wire rack.


Roll the cookies in confectioner's sugar when still warm. I hope Cilanthro accepts this for her Global Kadai event.

Observations:
I actually halved the recipe and made small 30 cookies. Original recipe says to make them only 16 cookies and if you do that, they'll be huge. My cookies went a little flat instead of holding the ball shape due to not using cocoa powder in the recipe. But, whatever it is, this is one of the best tasting cookies I have baked and I have baked a lot of them.

Happy Baking!! Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Looks Perfect. I will let you know when I post the roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic indianized mexican cookies, looks fabulous Champa..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priya, Faiza, Cilantro thanks for the comments. They were so yummy that we couldn't stop eating. Whole box is almost empty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello bangalore baker,
    Can u pls bake some Bangalore Iyengar bakery recipes
    plsssssssss
    Radha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious. Was thinking of using cashewnuts for the event. I will keep in mind coconut also when I try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jayasree, I used coconut in the place of chocolate even though they are not similar in anyway. At first I thought I'll increase the butter by 2 TBSP to make up for the cocobutter content of the chocolate, but decided against it.
    Radha, Sure I just started actively writing about a month ago, so they are definitely coming. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice cookies with an Indianised version Champa... looks yumm

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.