Friday, October 23, 2009

Vegan Almond cookies

Many years back, one of my friend's mother who was an excellent cook had given me the recipe for almond cookies. It had just ground almonds and sugar. No flour, no butter in it. I had made it long time back and forgot all about it. All of a sudden, I was trying to use up the almond butter that was lying in the fridge. I used another recipe for almond cookies which I had collected long time back (I don't remember where I got this recipe. I had scribbled in a book), but had never made. I altered it to get a yummy almond cookies. Original recipe had butter in it which I replaced with almond butter. It did not have cardamom which I added. So, here is my version of almond cookies.
Ingredients:
Almond butter - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Flour - 1/2 cup
Cardamom - Powder of 6-8 whole cardamoms (Vary as per your love for this spice)
Ground almond - 1 cup (Powder almond and then measure the powder, I used almonds with skin and powdered them )
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Little milk/ soy milk / water to mix the dough.
Almonds - for decoration - optional


Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use silpat mat. Mix almond butter and sugar thoroughly. You can use the electric beater, but since almond butter doesn't have water content, it is easier to mix by hand. Mix the flour, almond powder, cardamom powder, baking powder in another bowl and stir to combine. Add this mixture to the almond butter, sugar mixture and mix with hand. Sprinkle water a tsp by tsp to get the cookie dough consistency. It won't be a very smooth dough, it will be a little crumbly so don't put too much of liquid. Make key lime size rounds from the dough and flatten it and place on the cookie sheet. Press an almond in the center. It will not spread, so if you don't flatten it, you'll get an almond ball. I got a few more than 2 dozen medium size cookies for the above measurements. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes or till the bottom of the cookie has golden brown color. If you touch the cookie when it is still hot, it'll be soft. They get harder as they cool down. This is a chewy almond cookie with tons of almond flavor and not very sweet. Next time I probably will add some almond extract to even enhance the flavor. All in all, I will definitely be making these again and again.

Enjoy!!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Champa, this sounds delicious. I love almond cookies and I can imagine the simple ingredient list would really bring out the great flavor of the nuts. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Champa

    I think I will substitute almond butter for peanut butter and will make peanut butter cookies. Will keep you posted.

    Thank you for the recipe that does not use any fancy ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.