Monday, April 26, 2010

Mango Bread

After writing the post about 'Bread Machine', it makes sense to make my next post about a beautiful bread that I used bread machine to make the dough. This bread is really something that is refreshing as a snack with a cup of tea or could be made into a toast with some fruit spread. I used  a recipe from KAF. I made some changes and here is my version.

Ingredients:
  • Sweetened condensed mango puree - 1 1/4 cup (You can get it in Indian store or follow the original recipe to make from fresh mangoes. If you use mangoes, you will have add sugar)
  • Unsalted Butter - 2 TBSP
  • Salt - 1/2 tsp
  • Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Whole wheat flour - 2 Cups
  • Bread flour - 1 cup
  • Vital wheat gluten - 2 TBSP
  • Dry yeast - 2 tsp
  • Butter for brushing the loaf when done (optional)

Method:
Place all the ingredients in the bread machine pan. Start the machine on dough cycle. When it beeps, check for the consistency of the dough. I had to add a tsp of water to make it right. Let it rise and after first rise, punch down and shape into a loaf. I used a 9 X 5 pan. Lightly grease the pan with vegetable oil spray and place the dough in the pan. Cover lightly with a greased aluminum foil and place it in a warm place till double about  45 minutes to an hour. Preheat the oven to 350 F. (Use 375 F if using aluminum pan. I was using non-stick pan) Bake for 30 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes at 325 F. (Or 350 for an aluminum pan) The bottom of the loaf should sound hollow when tapped. Remove from the pan and brush with melted butter when still warm. Slice when completely cool.
If you want to make it by hand, Warm the mango pulp. Add yeast and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Add salt, butter and slowly the flours and make a smooth dough. Knead for about 10 minutes. Coat with some butter or oil and place in a bowl. Turn once to coat all around and cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise. At the end of the rise, punch down and follow the steps given above in shaping the loaf and baking.

Suggestion:
This bread was perfect not too sweet or bland. But, if you like sweeter version, I suggest adding about 1/4 cup of sugar and make the bread. That would be like a low fat dessert.

This loaf of Mango bread is on its way to Susan's 'Yeast Spotting' hosted here

Happy Baking!! Pin It

25 comments:

  1. Perfect looking mango bread. The slices look like pound cakes. Smooth and almost spongy! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow looks so good, had never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. looks great champa and guest post at nithu's kitchen awesome.. congrats

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... thats lovely.. read ur guest post on nithu's blog.. loved to read abt u.. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice one dear....looks so perfect.....like your post on bread machine...always a big argument between me(not to buy) & him(let's buy)......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mango bread sounds too interesting! Never tried bread with Mango. Looks very nice!

    And I read you guest post in Nithu's blog. Was quite interesting! I loved reading about your experience in the Kitchen. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, wat a gorgeous mango bread, truly very interesting and fabulous..am gonna try this, btw u can send this bread to CWS..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very innovative dear !!! Loved reading about you in Nithu's blog. Glad to know you are a programmer, I am into Software QA. Glad to know so many things :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mango bread looks good. Hey, I baked my bread machine bread. I was so anxious I kept opening the machine that it caused the bread to deflate and did not raise too much. The taste was good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bread has great texture!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect looking bread and very innovative .Adding mangoes is definately new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your interview in Nithu's site made me visit u. You have a wonderful space with interesting recipes. Glad to follow u:):)Mango bread is unheard of and very tempting click make me crave for some.

    Chitchat

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look really, really great :) Smell of mangi with bread...they look super soft too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Yumm!! Would love to eat these kind of breads!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, that looks divine! So many things you could do with such a wonderful dough... Hmmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear,
    I have been making many visits eyeing this Mango bread..Where do I get this Vital Wheat Gluten? I have never heard of that before.
    Secondly, my dad got me a big pack of yeast from an Indian store. I dunno if it is active or quick rise. So I use the same amount? i want to try this over the weekend or something. To be honest, I am more of a quick bread person and this recipe is quite intimidating!But I want to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool Lassie, you can get vital wheat gluten from wholefoods, trader joes, even some walmart super center carries them. If you use all bread flour, you don't need this. You have to add it to increase gluten in whole wheat flour. It'll be in the baking isle usually next to where they keep yeast. The only difference between the active yeast and the quick yeast is quick or bread machine yeast does not require proofing. (Put in the water and let it froth). So, you should be able to use same amount of what you have but you'll have to proof it before you mix in the flour. I usually give that as a step to avoid confusion. This applies only if your yeast is a powder and not a bar. If it is a bar, it should be in the refrigerator and you can see how many equal to 1 tsp of instant yeast on the package. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Champa,
    I want to try this bread in the weekend.I stay in bangalore and neither get bread flour nor this vital wheat gluten..any subsititute ideas??or can i just use APP flour instead of wheat flour. Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Champa,
    I baked this Mango bread couple of days back with a lot of expectations but was not quite happy with the final product. I had to make it by hand and I used the atta we use for chapathi for WWF. I remember that making bread by hand requires more water than making it by bread machine and that did happen this time where i had to use i'd say about 1/4 cup of water to get the dough together. But for some reason we didnt find the bread to moist like store bought bread. Not sure if i did not get the correct consistency of the dough or if i did not knead well or if the atta was the culprit. Can we use the normal atta for bread making at all? Please advise.

    Thank you once again for all these yummy recipes and awesome tips.You rock and I'm becoming an ardent follower of this blog :)

    -Madhu

    ReplyDelete
  20. Madhu,
    Thanks for the feedback. It is the other way round when kneading the dough by hand. It takes more flour because it will be initially sticky and people tend to add more flour. You can use atta to make bread but will have to add 1 TBSP of vital wheat gluten for every cup and adjust the water by few TBSP if necessary. Then you get a soft loaf of bread. This is one of the breads couple of people have tried and it has come out good. I really don't know what went wrong but if you missed vital wheat gluten, that could be the culprit. If you ever try again, let me know how it turns out. If you kneaded by hand, you need at least 10 minutes of kneading time to develop the gluten.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Champa,
    I did add 2 tbsp of vital wheat gluten to the dough may be my water content was not good enough and hence didnt get the correct consistency. We felt the bread was a bit sticky on the lower portion of the loaf but was better on the top, so it didnt raise well?? I dont know... I want to try out whole wheat plain bread but not able to gather enough guts to get going with it :( May be will overcome it soon :)

    -Madhu

    ReplyDelete
  22. Madhu,
    Because of more water, it probably didn't raise well or didn't bake enough and became dense and sticky in the bottom. Let me see if I can take step by step pictures of making whole wheat flour bread and make it by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  23. May be but will definitely try it again.... thanks for all your tips and prompt replies.

    -Madhu

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.