Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sourdough Applesauce Spice Cake

My search for 'sourdough' recipes probably will never end. Every week when I have to feed the starter, I have to figure out what to do with the starter that needs to be used up. I hate wasting and when I was looking for a recipe using 'sourdough starter', I came across this site and I modified the 'Sourdough carrot cake' to make an an applesauce spice cake. It does say in the original recipe that carrots could be substituted with applesauce, but I changed the ingredients a bit and made changes so that this is a 'one bowl, one measuring cup, one whisk and one spatula cake'.

Ingredients:
Sourdough Starter - 1 cup (not fed)
Milk - 1/4 cup
Vegetable Oil - 1/4 cup
Applesauce - 1 cup (I used sweetened)
Egg - 1 large
All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
White sugar - 1/2 cup
Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup (I used light brown sugar)
Baking Soda - 2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
Cloves powder - 1/4 tsp
Ginger powder - 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg - 1/8 tsp or a big pinch

Method:
Grease a 13 X 9 pan with vegetable oil spray. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a 4 cup measuring cup (if you don't have one, you'll have to measure and mix in a smaller bowl), measure one cup of starter. Add 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 cup of applesauce to the same measuring cup. Whisk it. Add one egg and beat with a whisk.

In another larger bowl, take flour, sugars, salt, baking soda, spice powders. Stir to combine. Make a well in the center and pour the liquid ingredients and stir till moistened. Do not over beat. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 - 40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine was done exactly at 35 minutes. Cool on the cooling rack in the pan for 15 minutes and then turn it out on to the cooling rack to cool completely.

You could dust with confectioner's sugar before serving and serve as a snack cake. You could go overboard and frost this cake too. I am thinking cream cheese frosting with a touch of cinnamon.

Notes:
I am so glad I found this recipe since this can be modified to suit many flavor requirements. Use mashed banana 1 cup in place of applesauce. Fold in chocolate chips or some nuts with it. Use pumpkin puree in the place of applesauce to get pumpkin spice cake. Use just sour cream in the place of applesauce to get sour cream cake. Think people think.
And now, this cake looked something like this in the pan. Look at that awesome color..

I am sending this cake to weekly 'Yeastspotting' hosted by Susan.

Happy Baking!! Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Cake looks good...sour dough baking is something I don't know nothing about..thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can literally somehow smell the cake here, just by reading about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spongy cake looks incredible...fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect bake!lovely persentation...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures and the recipe seems easy to veganize! I am yet to try making sourdough at home. I keep stalling it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yum!! Ur zest for baking is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It loooks sooo tempting.... Nice pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. delicious one.. perfectly done.one question which sour dough u used for this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prani,
    I use the sourdough starter that I made at home. It is very simple. If you check my bread baking basics post, you will see many links which tell you how to start it. It is basically mixture of equal parts of warm water and flour with some yeast. Feed daily until the mixture is bubbly and is doubling in volume after a feed. It takes about 15 days for the yeast to start growing well. Then refrigerate and take it out and feed every week. Hope this helps. Check out King arthur flour website for more details.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what r the alternatives available for egg....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous,
    This cake should work fine with flax eggs. 1 TBSP of milled flax seed mixed with 3 TBSP of warm water in place of 1 Egg. If you have ener-G, that should work too since the number of eggs isn't much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! Just found this today as I looked for ways to use up my cup of starter. Easy to whip up and very tasty! Thank you so much... my toddler is on her second helping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christi,
      Thanks for the feedback. I am glad your kid enjoyed it.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for this recipe. I used a flax egg, a small mashed banana in place of the oil and only 1/3 cup sugar altogether. Also, I used unsweetened applesauce from our wild apples. The cake was done in 35 and it's delicious. We're eating it warm. Next time I'll try it with grated carrots or pumpkin. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS to my previous comment-I also used whole wheat pastry flour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Five stars for sure. It's a great way to use discard and my entire neighborhood loves it. I use a maple syrup icing that takes it way over the top. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.