Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Weight Watcher's Applesauce Cocoa Cake (Egg less)

No, I am not on weight watcher's. I however, have a book of weight watcher's desserts. Now, why in the world would I buy that book when I don't count the points? Good question. Answer is also very simple - my obsession about baking books particularly if I can get it for under a buck.
I have owned this book for few months now. But, have not tried anything from it till today. I saw an applesauce cocoa cake in that and thought why not. When I started gathering things, I realized I did not have margarine that they use in there. I used oil instead. This is a dense cake and is not a high riser either. Great if you want a chocolate fix and you are watching what you are eating.

One Year Back -  Hummus, Cake Decorating Basics Part - 6
Adapted from - Weightwatcher's magazine - Dessert Classics
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 2 1/4 cup
Unsweetened natural cocoa - 3 TBSP
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Baking Soda - 2 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Vegetable Oil - 1/3 cup
Unsweetened applesauce - 1 1/2 cups (See Notes)
Mini Chocolate chips - 1/2 cup
Vanilla - 1 tsp

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 10 cup bundt pan with vegetable oil spray. I have a 12 cup one and it is non stick and dark. I preheated my oven to 325 F. In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cocoa and baking soda. Set aside. In another bowl, beat together applesauce, oil, sugar. Stir in the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix gently. Stir in the chocolate chips and fold without over mixing the batter. This batter is very thick. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 - 40 minutes in case of a 12 cup bundt pan or 40 - 45 minutes in case of a 10 cup bundt pan. Check if the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn on to the rack to cool completely.

Notes:
If you are using sweetened applesauce, use just 1/4 cup sugar. This tasted fine but since there isn't too much of fat or sugar, this cannot be classified as a dessert cake. This is a good coffee cake or a snack cake. Original recipe didn't have chocolate chips. It had walnuts and since my kids will pick out the nuts, I used chocolate chips. If you don't use chocolate chips, this can be a bland cake but will reduce the calories even more.

By the way, if you want to see more weight watcher's desserts on this blog, leave a comment. I will try to post many recipes from this book since all of us need sugar fix once in a while (really? just once in a while?) and going for low fat things is better than eating rich desserts and feeling guilty about it. Not to mention frequent visits to the gym.

Nutritional Information:
Serving size - 1 slice (entire cake is 12 servings)
193 calories, 7 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 31 g total carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 3 g protein, 10 mg calcium.
This is if I had used 1/2 cup of soft tub margarine instead of oil and used 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts instead of the chocolate chips.

Enjoy. Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Cake looks so yum n perfect ...just so gud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwwwwww.. looks absolutely perfect and tempting.. thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake's shape looks so attractive. No doubt you have put your heart in preparaing it.

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Champa, the cake looks good..but again my confusion about the non-usage of Baking powder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harini,
    Wait for my next post. It will be sometime tonight or tomorrow. It will give you a better understanding of the ingredients. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel like a sugar fix once in a while?? I feel like a sugar fix once after every meal and yep sometimes in between too:-) Please do post more low fat stuff and with whole grains if possible...

    The choc cake sounds good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to see more WW recipes on this blog but could you also include the nutritional content?

    ReplyDelete
  8. freeflying_soul,
    I just updated it with the information. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, looks superb and great combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cake looks absolutely wonderful,lovely shape..

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats the biggest hardle on my weight lose regime. cant stop eating desserts...please give us more such recipes and it would be great if they are made of whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice recipe and great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! This sounds AMAZING!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks this is an amazing cake. I love every bite of it. Like I said I took it to the competition & met a lot of other bakers. They love it too.
    But the cake was a bit hard could you guess the reason.
    Thanks anyway. I will be definitely baking it again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Archana,
    DId you beat it vigorously? Since there is no creaming of butter and sugar involved, the batter has to be gently folded. I remember that this cake was very moist and not hard at all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I know my mistake. I beat it. Anyway I have posted it today. Thanks my kids appreciation of it was worth all the prizes I might ever win. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.