- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Butter - 1/4 cup melted (1/2 a stick - You can use canola oil to make it vegan)
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Almond powder - 1 cup (You can grind almonds in the grinder and measure)
- Cocoa powder - 1/3 cup (I used special dark Hershey's cocoa and hence the color is very dark)
- Flax seed powder - 2 TBSP mixed with 6 TBSP of warm water and whisked together.
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Almond extract - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Grease an 8 inch square pan with butter or vegetable oil spray. Or line with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 300 F if using glass pan or non-stick pan or to 325 F if using an aluminum pan. In a large bowl, stir the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and almond powder. Pour the melted butter and the flax seed powder water mixture and stir with a wooden spoon. Batter will be very thick almost like a cookie dough. Dump it on to the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 35 - 38 minutes at 300 F or for 30 - 35 minutes at 325 F. Place the pan on the wire rack to cool. Let it cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting. I cut it after 15 minute and it was hard to cut without too many crumbs falling. It was not very sweet, nutty in taste. I liked it that it had half the fat compared to any brownie recipe. On a side note, if you use regular hershey's cocoa (not special dark), you will end up with a little light colored brownies.
If you love almonds, check out my other recipes using almond like Coconut Almond Cookies, Vegan Almond Cookies ,Chocolatey Almond butter bars.
Happy Baking!! Pin It