Saturday, January 2, 2010

Chocolatey almond butter bars

I had an opened almond butter bottle in the refrigerator and I wanted to use it up. When I was browsing through some of my cook book collection, I saw a recipe by jif called 'Chocolatey Peanut butter bars' published in one of the Costco magazines. When I searched for that recipe, I got it here. I was not trying to make an attractive or fancy dessert, so I skipped some of the process and made very simple cookie bars. I did not change the recipe much except for using almond butter in the place of peanut butter, using butter in the place of shortening, and omitting the topping. Here is the recipe for quick look up.


Ingredients:
  1. Butter - 1/2 cup 1 stick softened
  2. Brown sugar - 1/2 cup packed
  3. Granulated sugar - 1/2 cup
  4. Egg - 1 (Can use ener-G without any problem here)
  5. Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
  6. Almond extract - 1/2 tsp
  7. Water - 1 TBSP
  8. Almond butter - 1/3 cup
  9. All purpose flour - 1 cup
  10. Quick cooking oats - 1 cup
  11. Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
  12. Salt - 1/4 tsp
  13. 6 Oz or 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips.
Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9 X 13 pan with parchment or grease with butter. In a bowl, beat with an electric mixer ingredients 1 through 8 until creamy. In another bowl, mix ingredients from 9 through 12. Slowly incorporate the dry mix to creamed mixture. Batter will be very thick. You might have to fold in using a spatula. Spread it evenly on the prepared pan and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or till brown on the top. Mine was done exactly at 25. Immediately after taking out of the oven, sprinkle chocolate chips evenly on the cookie. After about 3 - 4 minutes, take a spatula and spread the softened chocolate chips to cover the entire cookie crust. Cut when cool.

Happy Baking!! Pin It

6 comments:

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.