Thursday, January 26, 2012

Banana Sourcream Cake (Low fat)

At any time, I prefer baking cakes with oil rather than butter. You need to be prepared ahead of time if you want to use butter. It has to be at room temperature, you need an electric mixer /beater to cream butter and sugar. With the oil based cakes, all you need is a whisk and the job gets done. Another reason for me to prefer oil based cakes is due to the reason that they stay moist longer compared to the cakes with butter. I had to make something to give as a 'thank you' gesture to one of my neighbors. This past weekend when it snowed, when I was shoveling the snow, my neighbor came with his snow blower and cleared my drive way. It took him 10 minutes with his machine and it would've taken me one hour to do it by hand.
One year back - Sweet Corn Raisin Bread, Vegan Tomato Soup
Two years back - Cranberry Rice Orange Muffins, Multigrain Brown Bread
Adapted from - here.
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
Sugar - 1 cup
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Mashed banana - 1 cup
Oil - 1/4 cup or 4 TBSP
Sour cream - 1/3 cup (measured in dry measuring cup) I used fat free - you could use yogurt instead
Egg - 1 large
Vanilla - 1 tsp

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F (I did it at 325 F since I was using a dark pan). Grease and flour a 9 X 5 loaf pan or 4 mini loaf pans. In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda. In another bowl, beat oil, egg, sour cream and sugar till combined. Stir in vanilla. Add the banana puree and continue to beat. Start adding flour mixture little by little and continue to whisk until everything is mixed well. Pour into the prepared pan. Tap the pan few times to remove air bubbles. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes in case of a mini loaf pan or 50 - 60 minutes for a 9 X 5 loaf pan or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then turn it on to the wire rack to cool completely. You could double the ingredients and bake in a bundt pan or a tube pan. I prefer mini loaf pans since it reduces the serving size if you just eat one slice.
This one makes a very nice snack cake. You could go overboard and add a cream cheese glaze or cream cheese frosting if you like it. This one is not too sweet and is not too heavy.

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. The recipe sounds new to me..I luv the banana breads to the core..

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks soft and perfect the way any bread should be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many banana cakes and breads each one different from the other. It is something i can bake quickly and very easily more because bananas are always in stock at home. I tried one yest and it was good. Will leave a comment there too :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.