Monday, January 24, 2011

Vegan Tomato Soup

I am not keen on drinking soups in restaurants. Reason being tasting the soup in restaurants and not liking them and the other reason is the fear of being served a vegetarian soup which was made with 'chicken broth'. No I am not kidding. It happened to me once. We went to a Thai restaurant from work and I took the vegetarian combo which had rice with some vegetables, a sweet and sour soup. When the soup was served, for some reason, I could smell something that just wasn't 'right'. When asked, the waitress said the broth was 'chicken broth'. So be very careful when you ask for soup and if you are vegetarian or vegan.
tomatosoup3

My younger one loves soup. Give some soup with bread or as is, she is a happy person. But, there is a catch to it. It has to have tomatoes in it. I have made pumpkin soup, butternut squash soup which, she will taste once and leave it.  But serve her this tomato soup or Roasted red bellpepper soup, she is a happy girl. I made this especially for her and is the reason for not using any herbs.

One Year Back - Besan Laddoo (Sweet chickpea flour balls)
Ingredients:
Plum tomatoes - 9 medium sized (See Notes)
Red Onions - 3 small diced
Apples - 2 medium cored, peeled and diced (See Notes)
Olive oil or any other oil - 2 TBSP
Garlic - 2 pods crushed
Vegetable broth - 2 - 3 cups
Salt - to taste
Crushed black Pepper - to taste
Hot sauce - 1 tsp or to taste
tomatosoup4

Method:
Blanch the tomatoes. Peel the skin. Set aside. In a pan, heat oil. When hot, add garlic. Let it cook, but not get brown. Add onions. Sprinkle some salt, crushed black pepper and let it cook. When onions are cooked, add apples, tomatoes. With the back of the spoon, crush the tomatoes and let them all cook till apples are soft and the whole mixture comes to a simmer. Turn off the heat.

When cool enough to be taken into a blender, blend it to a puree. Blend it to the consistency of your liking. I like the soup to be a little chunky but, my kids like them smooth. So, I blended them till it was a smooth puree. Return back to the pan. Add vegetable broth, hot sauce and bring it to a slow boil. Adjust the salt if needed. You could use the herb of your liking. I didn't since if some green 'thing' is floating, my kids would've a problem with the whole bowl of soup. Serve hot/warm with croutons or bread. I served with warmed whole wheat pita bread.

Notes:
To use a shortcut, instead of blanching the tomatoes, you can use 1 can of 1lb 10 Oz can of peeled tomatoes. It will have about 1/2 cup of tomato juice in it and you can empty the whole can into the pot.
I like adding apples or potatoes (just 1 or 2) to thicken the soup naturally instead of adding corn starch or making a roux. Apples eliminate the need of adding sugar to the soup completely. I got this inspiration from Ina Garten's barefoot contessa show.
I am sending this to 'Souper Sunday' hosted at 'Kahakai Kitchen'.
I am also sending this to 'Winter Warmers' hosted at 'The Veggie Hut'  along with Roasted red bellpepper soup.

Enjoy. Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for shring that incident.. indeed scary for vegetarians.. I am big on Tomato soup.. Its my fav.. If u wish send it to my event-Winter Warmers..
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW the makes me hungry.Always love soups.adding apples is new to me.Will give a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious soup perfect for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prefect comforting soup for this chilled weather..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soup looks so comforting and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the addition of apples...comforting and warming soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy soup.. love the addition of apples to it.. will try it with my kid too..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very comforting soup. Addition of apple makes it yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It happened to me too in a thai restaurant,but not for soup it was for main course...They served a dish made with prawns..I was thankful to make it out as the prawns were literally floating...I was very disappointed then...

    ur soup sounds yummm wid d addition of apples

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding apples to tomato soup is a change that i should try next time! Thanks for the tip...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy!!!! My Kiddo too loves soup!!!! totally agree with that "any floating thingy"!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was drawn into your by the photograph of this soup. It has great mood, tone and an overall rustic appeal.
    The addition of apple is interesting, I can understand the desire for some natural sweetness.
    Thanks for the recipe and visual aesthetics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Champa, I made this soup today and it was excellent, real creamy and tangy...Adding apples is a brilliant idea and thanks for sharing this with us..I also made you coriander pesto but with less number of chillies..That too came out good..WOuld post the recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for taking time to leave a comment.
    Priya,
    Thanks for the feedback. You always come back and tell me about your experience. That is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tomato soup is so comforting. I love the addition of the apple too. Thanks for sharing your soup at Souper Sundays--I hope you will come back and join in again. ;-)

    Aloha,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. SO interesting! i use potatoes but have never tried apples. i will def try this. i've already bookmarked the recipe with cookmarked.com !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi champa,
    do you have a good recipe for sweet and sour veggie soup (vegan)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neha,
      I don't have it on the blog. When I make it next time, I will remember to post it.

      Delete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.