Thursday, February 2, 2012

Vegan Puttanesca Sauce

There are many varieties of pasta sauces that are not vegetarian. One such example is Puttanesca Sauce. Almost all the brands have anchovies in it. I love Olives in anything and if there is a sauce that is full of olives and capers, I surely am going to enjoy that one. This version of the sauce is not only vegan but can be made in less than 10 minutes if you have a food processor to chop onions, olives. Even without them, it is one fast and easy sauce and I cannot leave out the fact that it is very economical too.
For those of you who are regular visitors, I know you are wondering what happened to me. I am still here. Been so busy that I could not do what I did just for myself - that is blogging. It is something I do for myself, not for kids, not for the house, not for the husband or to make a living. You might not see me blogging as much as before, but I am here. Thanks to those who show concern when I go missing through emails. I really appreciate it.

One year back - Applesauce Breakfast Bread, Penne with Spicy Coriander Pesto
Two years back - Ricotta Cheese Doodh Peda
Ingredients:
28 Oz can crushed tomatoes - 1 can (I used the one with basil if using regular, add about 1/4 cup of fresh basil or 2 TBSP dried basil)
14.5 Oz can diced tomatoes - 1 can
6 Oz Whole Olives - 1 can or a generous 1 cup chopped olives (Kalamata is preferred but black olives will do just fine)
Capers - 3 TBSP crushed lightly
Chopped Red onion - 1/2 cup
Garlic - 6 pods chopped fine
Olive oil - 4 TBSP
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - crushed to taste


Method:
Heat olive oil in the pan. When it is warm, add garlic followed by onions. Mix and sprinkle a little salt. Let it wilt. When it is cooked, add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes. Mix well. If you are using plain crushed tomatoes, chop basil to get about 4 TBSP and add it to the pot. Coarsely chop the olives and add them to the pot along with capers. Adjust the salt and add crushed black pepper. Bring it to a rolling boil and turn off the heat. This sauce is good enough for one pound of any pasta.

Enjoy.
Pin It

4 comments:

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.