Monday, December 5, 2011

Lemon Coconut Bread

I am a South Indian where rice and coconut are a staple in every house. There is something that goes very well with coconut. That is the sourness of limes, lemons and tamarind. If you see any of the South Indian recipes where coconut is used, majority of them will have either lime or tamarind in them unless it is in a dessert of course. So, I do know that these flavors work very well in any form. When I was browsing through the sites, the same flavor combo caught my attention which prompted me to make this bread. These are good toasted too since toasty coconut is very tasty.
One year back - Greek Rice
Two years back - Pecan Pie Bars
Adapted from - Baking Bites
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 2 1/2 cups
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Eggs - 2 Large
Milk - 1 cup
Lemon Juice - 1/3 cup (I used bottled since that is what I had)
Canola or vegetable oil - 1/3 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 cup
Shredded coconut - 2 cups (sweetened or unsweetened I used sweetened)


Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 X 5 loaf pan with vegetable oil spray. Set aside. In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, sugar. Add coconut flakes and mix one more time. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, lemon juice and oil. Stir in vanilla. Dump the wet ingredients to dry and fold gently. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 60 - 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I baked them in mini loaf pans and got 4 loaves. I had to bake for 35 minutes for mine to be done. Serve with a cup of coffee or spread with some jam or marmalade.

Today is day 5 of the bake-a-thon. Do drop in and check out what my Bake-A-Thon buddies are baking in their kitchens,
Susan of The WellSeasoned Cook,
Preethi of IsingCakes,
Veena Krishna Kumar of VeenasVegnation,
Priya Suresh of Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes.


Enjoy.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Stunning bread, am yet to try bakes with coconut and lemon combo..prefect looking slices..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, just as I read the title of your bake...lemon and coconut rice is what struck me..and was very curious to check the bread out...they look really delish, Champa:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow am drooling dear....beautiful bread....mouthwatering too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!!!love the flavours:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is cruel to make me look at this. I want to eat this.... right now!
 Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemon is a snappy departure from pineapple when paired with coconut. Looks like a wonderful presentation for tea time.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.