Friday, December 4, 2009

Pecan Pie Bars (Eggless)

One of my friend is having a potluck party this weekend and she wanted to keep the theme to be everything baked. Starting from appetizer to dessert should be baked. Me being into baking lot more than my friends around here, took couple of courses. I am planning to make my pesto crescent rolls and for dessert, I chose Pecan pie bars just because the hostess of the party likes them a lot. I used the recipe from here. I made some changes and made it egg less. Here is my version of the pecan pie bars.

Ingredients:

  1. 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  2. 1/4 cup white sugar for the crust
  3. 1/2 cup butter
  4. 1/4 teaspoon salt
  5. 2 TBSP of ground flax seeds mixed with 6 TBSP of warm water.
  6. 3/4 cup light corn syrup
  7. 1/2 cup white sugar for the filling
  8. 1 tablespoon butter melted
  9. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  10. 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  11. 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans (Chop and then measure)
  12. 2 TBSP cold water. 

Method:
In a food processor, mix the flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, salt, butter, almond extract and run it till it resembles coarse meal. (Just like a pie dough). I used 2 TBSP of water to bring the dough together. It would have been very crumbly without it. I lined the pan with parchment since this was the first time I was making it and I didn't want the filling to caramelize and give me a chore to clean the pan. Press the dough to a 7 X 11 pan. Preheat the oven to 350 F if using aluminum pan and 325 F if using glass or non-stick. I used glass so I set it to 325 F. Bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile mix the corn syrup, remaining sugar, 1 TBSP of melted butter, vanilla extract, flax seed and water mixture very well.Stir in the chopped pecans. Pour this mixture on the hot crust and place it back in the oven and bake for 35 - 40 minutes or till set. Let it cool completely in the pan before trying to slice it or removing from the pan. Overall I liked this recipe and I was happy that I could make it egg less so that I can enjoy them too. I cut them as small pieces so that people won't feel guilty about eating a piece. I actually made them into 30 pieces.

Happy Baking!! Pin It

2 comments:

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.