Here goes the recipe (My version)..
- Old fashioned rolled oats - 1/2 cup
- Whole Rye flour - 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup (Next time, I will use whole wheat flour in its place)
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 1/4 tsp
- Butter - cold cut into chunks 3 TBSP
- Butter milk - 1 1/2 cup (I used 1/2 cup of yogurt and mixed it with 1 cup of water)
- Grated Carrots - 2 medium sized carrots
- Green chillies - 8 chopped finely
- Cilantro - chopped about 1/4 cup
Preheat the oven to 500 F (yes, it is not a typo. this bread is baked at this temperature). Lightly grease a 9 X 13 pan with vegetable oil spray. In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Add the chunks of butter and mix till it resembles coarse mixture. (Don't try to knead the butter into the flour) Add grated carrots, chillies, cilantro and stir. Dump all the buttermilk at once and mix gently. It'll be a gooey, sticky mass. Spread it onto the pan and smooth the top. Place in the oven and bake for 17 - 20 minutes. Mine were done perfectly at 17 minutes. When you touch the middle, it should spring back. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing. I served with chutney and some hot and sweet sauce.
You could add grated zucchini. Baking time might increase due to moisture in zucchini. If you like cheese, you could add that too. You could add dill or mint and make it a totally different flavor. All in all, a healthy wholesome breakfast which can be made in a jiffy.
Happy Baking!! Pin It