- Two cups of frozen peas thawed and microwaved for about 3 minutes. (You can use soaked and cooked dry green peas too)
- Large red onions quartered - 2
- Green chillies - 5 or more as per taste
- Garlic - 2 pods
- Ginger - 1/4 inch piece
- Cashew nuts - 3 TBSP.
- Cinnamon stick - 1/2 inch stick
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Cloves - 5
- Tomato paste - 1 1/2 cups (I used the can. If you want to blanch and make puree from tomatoes, use about 4 medium or 3 large tomatoes)
- Salt - to taste
- Chilli powder - optional if needed about 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 4 TBSP divided use.
- Extra firm tofu - 1 box drained on paper towel for an hour and cubed.
- Cilantro - chopped finely about 1/4 cup
- Turmeric - a big pinch
- Sugar - 3 tsp (optional)
Take onions, green chillies, garlic,ginger, cashew nuts, cloves, cinnamon, coriander powder, cumin powder in a blender and blend to a paste without adding any water. In a pan, heat 2 TBSP of oil. When hot, add cumin and when the splutter, add the ground paste. Cook till the raw smell goes away for about 8 - 10 minutes. Keep stirring else it will stick to the pan and burn. Add turmeric and a little bit salt and stir well. When it is done, add the microwaved peas and stir well. Add tomato paste and thin it down with some water as per desired consistency. (I added about a cup of water). Let it boil and add red chilli powder if more heat is needed. Meanwhile, in an iron skillet, heat 2 TBSP of oil and saute cubed tofu in them till they get golden on all the sides. You don't want to keep stirring here. Just keep it on medium heat and turn just couple of times. I browned them in batches. Add these tofu cubes and stir well. Adjust the seasonings. Add sugar if using and mix and turn off the heat. Serve with roti, naan or simple rice.
Happy Cooking!! Pin It