Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Apple Butter Spice Bread (Egg less)

Don't ask me why I have apple butter on hand. I have a peanut butter cup cake recipe that my kids really love. I thought of making apple butter cupcakes by replacing peanut butter with apple butter and bought a jar of apple butter. That recipe needs very less apple butter and I still had some left. To use up the remaining apple butter, I made this bread which fortunately came out so good that I think I'll keep making this. For those who do not know what 'Apple Butter' is it is just like apple sauce, boiled for a very long time with sugar and some spices. If you can't get this, you can use applesauce, but increase the spices. Also, apple butter or any fruit butter like pumpkin butter gives the baked goods a rich texture without added fat which you can not get by using just fruit puree. This recipe is adapted from many of the banana bread recipes I have used in past.


Ingredients:
  • Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
  • All purpose flour - 1 cup
  • Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt - 1/2 tsp
  • Ground ginger - 1/4 tsp
  • Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp
  • Ground allspice - 1/4 tsp
  • Ground cloves - 1/4 tsp
  • Ground nutmeg - 1/4 tsp
  • Brown sugar - 1/2 cup (Next time, I will reduce this to 1/4 cup. Bread was a little on sweeter side)
  • Apple Butter - 1 cup
  • Honey - 1/2 cup
  • Yogurt - 1/2 cup
  • Canola oil or vegetable oil - 1/4 cup

Method:
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to mix well. Preheat the oven to 350 F. I used mini loaf pans and hence sprayed 3 mini loaf pans with vegetable oil spray. You can bake it in one 9 X 5 loaf pan. Prepare the pan. Mix all the wet ingredients really well with a whisk. Slowly add the dry ingredients and stir. Don't over mix.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan/pans and place it in the oven. My mini loaves took 38 minutes to bake. If baking in the large loaf, bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until the tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs. This bread is very moist and great to eat just as is or toasted with some butter or cream cheese. My kids devoured half of the bread within an hour.

Happy Baking!! Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. I bake so much with apple sauce but I don't remember using apple butter-- you've inspired me to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple bread looks intersting..never tried this...thx 4 sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. never heard abt apple butter..lovely cake...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love baking with applesauce but never used apple butter...& yes u can simply avoid x'tra butter/fat by using fruit purees.....
    HAppy NEw Year dear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bread looks yum & tasty.... With all those yummy ingredients...how can it not be???

    Ash....
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bread looks yummy...I have never baked with apple butter, will try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for taking time to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep bumping into apple butter in some grocery stores although never made anything with it..It is very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made pear butter and it works just dandy in this recipe..thanks!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.