Friday, January 8, 2010

Green Mango Onion Subzi

Sometimes I wonder why food is so 'comforting'. Not just eating, but making it, talking about it, looking at it and even sharing the recipe is therapeutic at least to me. Is it because it brings memories of people from whom you learnt it or memories of someone close to you. Whenever I make rasam, I remember my Dad, because the first time I made rasam, it was him who ate it saying it was very nice. In fact, I couldn't eat it myself (it was so bland). But then, I was a kid and it was my first time making anything all by myself. This list can go on and every dish I make, it has somebody associated with it. It could even be Alton Brown or Ina Garten. This dish 'Green Mango Onion Subzi' is one of my favorites and it has the association of an incredible woman I happened to meet and to get to know. She is no more, but believe me I remember her almost every day. Even though I learnt how to make this Gujarathi dish, I don't know what it is called. This dish is so simple but so nice that I think everyone should try it. Here goes the recipe..


Ingredients:
  • Green Mango - 2 chopped (Don't throw the seeds away. That is the yummiest part of this curry)
  • Red Onions - 3 large or 4 medium chopped coarsely.
  • Veg. oil or peanut oil - 3 TBSP
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Methi seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Cumin - 1/2 tsp
  • Turmeric - a big pinch
  • Red chillies - 2 broken
  • Curry leaves - a few
  • Salt - to taste
  • Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp or more depending on your taste
  • Coriander cumin powder (Dhana Jeera powder) - 1 tsp
  • Amchur powder (Dry Mango powder) - 1/4 - 1/2 tsp 
  • Jaggery - 1 lemon size

Method:
In a skillet, heat oil. When hot, add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add broken red chillies, curry leaves, cumin, methi seeds. Once they are all done, add onions and saute for 2 - 3 minutes. Add turmeric, some salt and add the chopped mango pieces and the seed. Pour enough water to cover all the veggies and close the lid and walk away. When they are all cooked (about 15 minutes or so), add chilli powder, dhana jeera powder, jaggery, amchur powder and mix well. Let it boil for some time and you can control the thickness at this time if you want. Make it a little watery for serving with rice and thick for serving with rotis. Check for the seasoning and turn off the heat. Serve with Chapathis, rotis and even plain rice.

A Note:
My friend's mom didn't use amchur powder. She used to use lime juice / lemon juice since the mango we get here in U.S are not that sour. I don't want to mix up the flavors of mango with lemon/lime and hence started using the amchur powder.

Happy Cooking!! Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Lovely , I have had mango pickle but not mango sabji , will definately try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sabji looks delicious... I wud love to have some with rice:)
    Cheers,
    Rachana Kothari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice combo Champa. Never had this type. Looks so spicy and yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever with green mango is my favorite.This recipe is new to me.So definetly I will try this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apart from pickles i never tried mangoes as anything..subzi looks tangy and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  6. we make green mango gojju but that is different from your version. Will try this next time I buy mangoes

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow... yummy i wanna try them out once i get the mangoes

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.