Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Bread Machine White Bread - Version 3 (with egg)

Bread is a staple once the school starts. It saves lot of time in the morning in getting lunch ready and it is their favorite anyway. Most of the time my kids take sandwich for lunch and that means I need a good loaf of bread for the week. Here is another version of a white bread that I baked. I baked it in a pull man loaf and that is why the shape is different. Not everyone has a pull man loaf pan so I have given instructions for baking in a regular pan.
One Year Back - Vegan Navratna Kurma
Two Years Back - Sweet Couscous and Apple Salad
Three Years Back - Sweet Milk Rolls/Buns
Ingredients: Makes Two 8 X 4 loaves.
All purpose flour or bread flour - 5 - 5 1/2 cups (Start with 5 cups)
Warm Water - 1 3/4 cups
Egg - 1 large
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
Dry milk powder - 1/4 cup
Oil - 6 TBSP
Sugar - 4 TBSP
Active dry yeast - 2 1/2 tsp

Method:
Place oil, salt, sugar, egg, water, milk powder, flour and yeast in this order in the pan of the breadmachine and start on dough setting. When the bread machine has been running for about 10 minutes, see if the dough is nice and smooth. It should be a bit tacky (when you press the dough, it should stick to the finger but peel off neatly) but not sticky. If it is sticky, add more flour a TBSP at a time until you get a nice and pliable dough. Once the first kneading cycle finishes (most machines beep), remove the dough to an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise till double, about an hour. Punch down and shape into two loaves. Place in greased 8 X 4 pan and cover and let rise for the final time, about 35 - 40 minutes. Towards the end of the wait time, preheat the oven to 350 F. If desired, you can give an egg wash to get a dark crust or brush with milk. I did neither since I was using a pull man loaf pan. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden on the top and sounds hollow when the bottom is tapped. Cool on the rack and slice when completely cool. Brush the loaf with melted butter or oil after taking out of the pan.

If you want to make it by hand, refer to this post for the method: Basic White Bread.
 
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Bread looks so soft and mouthwatering. Excellent preparation.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please post a recipe of a small bread using 1 and 1/2 or two cups of flour. I get mesmerized by your breads. Dying to try one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will within a week. I promise. I remember your email.

      Delete
  3. Hey where are you. Not seen since three weeks. Hope things are fine with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugandha, Thanks. I am right here. Been really busy with work and other home projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That white bread is calling my name! This looks and sounds delish! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.