Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sweet Milk Rolls/Buns

I make a coconut cake every year for my boss's birthday. I had bought whipping cream for the same reason. But unfortunately, he is not feeling that great and is working from home for some time now. When he said he isn't sure when he'll be coming to work physically, I decided to use up the whipping cream. I did use part of it to make Navaratna Kurma one day which, I haven't blogged about. But there was some more that I needed to use up.
I saw 'Portuguese sweet bread' on many bread baking blogs last month. I loved the look of it and had decided to make once. When I was looking for the recipes, I came by the Portuguese Sweet Rolls recipe. I tweaked it to use up the opened carton of whipping cream that I needed to use up.
Ingredients:
Active dry yeast - 1 TBSP
Whipping cream - 1 cup (You can use milk but then add 3 TBSP of butter)
Salt - 1/2 tsp
All Purpose Flour - 3 1/4 cups
Silken Tofu - 1/2 cup blended and measured in place of  2 large eggs
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Vanilla - 2 tsp

More whipping cream for brushing 
Method:
In a bowl, take the warm heavy cream. Add sugar to it and stir. Sprinkle yeast. Let it stand for about 5 minutes. Add blended tofu or eggs if using eggs, salt and stir. Slowly start adding the flour to make a smooth dough. Knead for 5 - 8 minutes. Do not add more flour if the dough seems sticky. When you are done kneading, it should be a smooth, supple dough. Cover and let rise till double about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down the dough and on a lightly greased surface, divide the dough into 16 pieces. Grease your hands and the easiest way to do this is with a bench scraper or a knife. Roll into a log and cut into 16 equal portions (Make 4 divisions and make 4 cuts on each division to get 16 portions). 
Let it rest covered for about 5 minutes. Start shaping the rolls and place them in a greased baking pan. You could use 9 X 13 pan like I did or use 2 9" cake pans.
After you place them in the baking pan, cover with a greased aluminum foil and let it rise for about 1 hour. Buns will be touching but that is okay. If you want round buns, you will have to use two baking sheets and place them couple of inches apart.

Preheat the oven to 325 F at the end of the rise time. Brush the rolls with some cream or milk and place them in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Take it out and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for another 10 minutes or till golden on the top. Cool in the pan on the wire rack completely.


You could brush with butter after the rolls are done. But I didn't. Serve as breakfast with some cream, jam or as a plain roll with coffee. They were sweet, flaky and heavenly. These rolls are being yeastspotted.


Now to the calories part..

Happy Baking!!
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. beautiful spongy buns. as kids we used to take sweet buns in lunch boxes. How wish I could have tried them too. I dont get good quality yeast here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very soft and fluffy. Nice substitute for eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks sooo soft and fluffy...love to have for breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buns look so good and tempting!
    A very nice idea of posting calories along with food.

    Deepti

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can imagine eating the warm fresh buns on a rainy evening...hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. luv the addition of silken tofu,..look yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute looking buns, very irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh my..... these look soo lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there any substitute for silken tofu in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Priya,
    You could use thick yogurt in its place. If you are looking for vegan option, then you will have to go with soy yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm! Replaced the cream with almond milk and vegan butter, turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous,
    Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Champa,
    I recently got some whipping cream for the first time. It came on spray kind of tin and light and fluffy. Made some malai kulfi from ur blog it was very yummy but didn't get a creamy texture. Could u please tell me whether I can use the same whipping cream for making this. I really want to bake this one.

    Thanks in advance
    Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandhya,
      The whipping cream in the can is not the same as fresh cream. It has stabilizers added to it and is prewhipped. The malai kulfi recipe should work with that but I am not so sure about this bun recipe. You can actually use very thick milk in place of heavy cream and add some butter to it. Use whole milk and add about 4 TBSP of butter to it to get enough liquid used in the recipe and proceed.

      Delete
  14. Thanks Champa . Will do as you told and get back back to u on results.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.