Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Beet Chocolate Bread

If you ask my older daughter to name a few vegetables, her list would be peas, green beans, lima beans and carrots. They are the vegetables that she would eat in any form without fuss. If you ask my younger one to list few vegetables, her list would be tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes and maybe spinach. Not that I stick to only those vegetables, I do make them eat other veggies, but it is not an easy task. I had beets and I thought I would turn them into a cake or muffin. But then, I didn't want the color to make my kids not eat it, so I hid it using cocoa and made this bread. They have no clue that there is beets in it and they are eating it happily as snack.
One Year Back - Simple Edamame and Greens Rice
Two Years Back -  Yeasted Olive Oil Pear Cake, Salad with italian dressing
Three Years Back - No knead Focaccia

Ingredients: 
All purpose flour - 1  cup
Whole Wheat flour - 1 1/2 cups
Unsweetened Cocoa - 1/2 cup (I used dutch processed, but natural works too)
Sugar - 1 cup (See Notes)
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Oil - 3/4 cup
Egg - 3 large
Vanilla - 2 tsp
Beet- peeled and shredded with fine grater - 2 cups (about 1 large beet)
White chocolate chips - 1 cup (optional) 

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F (In my case, 325 F since I was using dark pans). Grease two 8 X 4 pans with vegetable oil spray. Set aside. In a bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa,  baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk together oil, sugar and eggs. Stir in vanilla. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour the liquid mixture. Stir slowly so that it mixes evenly. Stir in shredded beets and white chocolate chips if using. This is a very thick batter.  Scoop into the prepared pans and bake for 50 - 55 (will be less if you use 9 X 5 pans and at 350 F) minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn it on to the wire rack to cool completely.  This bread doesn't rise much, so keep that in mind when you fill the pans.


Notes:
This is not a very sweet bread at all. Perfect for snacks for kids.
 
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Delicious and mouthwatering bread. Excellent preparation.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe looks absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so innovative!!! love beets and I am sure going to bookmark this.. can I substitute flax seed for eggs?
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - Tried and Tasted - Raks Kitchen
    Ongoing Event - Know Your Dairy - Cheese
    Ongoing Event - Dish it out - Lentils & Garlic

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so delish!..great way to sneak beets into the meal!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.