Thursday, February 3, 2011

Yeasted Olive Oil Pear Cake

If you have a child/children, have you noticed how stubborn they can get? It is true when it comes to my younger child. Older one can be convinced very easily. My younger daughter loves pears. Pears are the only fruit I should say that she has no problem eating. Whenever I go grocery shopping, I buy a bag of pears for her. This weekend, I saw some red pears. They were so beautiful and I couldn't resist buying them. But, the kid refused to eat them. Her saying is "It is not a pear. It is an apple. Pears are green not red". She calls Granny smiths granny smiths and refuses to treat them as apples as well.
I ate some, used few to make this cake. Did she eat the cake? She ate the cake part and left the fruit part. Who is smarter? mommy or the baby?
pear cake
One Year back - No Knead Focaccia
Adapted barely from wildyeast.
Ingredients: (Source has the ingredients by weight. I have given what I used. I did weigh the ingredients and then measured in cups)
All purpose flour - 2 cups (250 gms)
Sugar -  little more than 1/4 cup (55 gms)
Olive oil - little more than 1/2 cup (113 gms)
Eggs - 2 Large
Milk - Little more than 1/3 cup (66 gms)
Instant yeast - 2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp

Topping:
Pears - 3 firm (I had couple of slices left from this)
Turbinado sugar - 1/4 cup
pear cake


Method:
I pretty much followed the source except for using pears in the place of plums and omitting rosemary. I did bake for 10 minutes at 400 F and 30 minutes at 350 F. I used a 9 inch springform pan since that is what I have.
pearcake3-tile

Notes:
Do not attempt to make this cake if you don't have one of those stand mixers which come with dough hook and the paddle hook. It is not easy to do this by hand. When you read the name, if you think this is going to be sweet, you are wrong. It is not very sweet like a cake at all. It goes very well with a cup of coffee or tea. Or you could serve this with some kind of sugary glaze. Also, 2 eggs could easily be replace with yogurt since it is a yeasted cake.
pearcake6

Plums are juicier than pears. I didn't have pears oozing out when the cake was done. Needless to say that this is on its way to Yeastspotting.
I am also sending this cake to Lisa's 'Sweets for a Saturday #3'.

Enjoy. Pin It

12 comments:

  1. looks delicious and tempting cake...ur clicks are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fruity and looks yumm yumm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds fantastic. I like that it is not sweet...although I definitely would have guessed it was by looking. And yeah, Kids...whadda ya gonna do!? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super gorgeous cake, truly interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting..looks gorgeous and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks mouth watering Champa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cake with the yeast! Looks so delicious and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of a yeasted cake before, but yours looks so fluffy. This really looks like a delicious recipe. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of a yeasted cake either but yours looks absolutely incredible. Your pictures are beautiful :)
    mickey
    http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-first-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.