Monday, May 10, 2010

Hummus

This has been in my draft for more than a month now. I totally forgot that I had not posted this recipe until one of my friends called for the recipe. I had made this for my younger one's birthday party. Remember the 'Mermaid Cake'. I had served this with pita chips (Toasted Pita bread). I was in such a hurry when I made this, dish is not even presented well.
I cannot call this a recipe since every ingredient listed can be altered to suit your palette. But here is what I did.
Adapted from Sunny Anderson's Hummus recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 2 (16-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained (I soaked the garbanzo beans overnight and cooked myself)
  • 1/2 cup sourcream
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 pods of garlic crushed
  • Chopped cilantro - 1/4 cup
  • Salt - to taste
  • Cayanne pepper powder - to taste
  • Black pepper powder - to taste (optional)

Method:
In the food processor bowl, add all of the beans reserving about a cup. Turn the food processor on. Add garlic and slowly start adding olive oil to facilitate the motor. When you are out of the required quantity of olive oil, start adding the yogurt till it is ground finely and is creamy. Now add the reserved beans and pulse couple more times to get them ground coarsely. Remove to a serving bowl. Add salt, cayanne pepper, black pepper powder (if using), lemon juice, cilantro and mix well. Serve with toasted pita bread or just as a dip with chips.

Happy Cooking!! Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I simply love it with not just pita bread, but with anything as a spread. Looks great !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful hummus, looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely hummus recipe!Its very versatile,right?
    Hey, check my version out for a variation. I added olives and had posted it in january i think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hummus!!!! looks fantastic:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love hummus with any finger foods.Your recipe looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love hummus...yumm...tastes good with any kind of chips

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very happy that I have found ur blog. A-Z of cake decoration. Its my dream to decorate a birthday cake and I think ur blog can do that. Thanks dear. I will be visiting u always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this with anything too...looks nice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it with pita bread. Gotta try your recipe. Hummus is my all time fav one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for leaving a comment. Suhaina, welcome and I am glad you liked whatever I have put up. It is not hard to decorate a cake at all. All you need is lots of patience and some cool tools.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Champa. I'm getting directed here even on clicking the okra peel link. Can you pls check. Btw I love your banana breads and there's one in the oven right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. foodiliciousnan,
      Thanks for letting me know. The link is fixed now.

      Delete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.