Thursday, December 23, 2010

Eggless Peanut Butter Swirled Chocolate Cake

I had a very bad day today.  My kindergartner's class had holiday party today. I was asked if I could make some cake for the party and the request was to make it eggless. There is a kid in her class who is allergic to eggs. I however didn't want to make the plain old chocolate cake. I made this variation which tastes so good that everyone should try it. I adapted it from the other 'Cream Cheese marbled chocolate cake' recipe.
Continuing with my vent.. I made the cake last night. I had made the buttercream frosting which was in the refrigerator. I thought I would cut them into individual pieces, put a swirl of buttercream and sprinkle with some holiday sprinkles in the morning. That is exactly what I did at 6.30 AM. I place all the pieces of cake in the cupcake liners and put them in a cake carrier. Decide to leave it in the garage refrigerator. Holding the carrier in one hand, I try to open the garage door with the other hand and guess what happens. Lock of the lid opens and all the cake pieces are on the floor. I just sat down looking at all my work gone to don't know where.
I almost cried. Then I looked at the clock. I was to take the cake at 10 AM. I still had time to make the cake. I ran like a mad woman, gathered things and baked the cake again. Made frosting again and got it ready. For what? At the school, they served the goodies so late and rushed the kids to finish and get ready to go home that no kid (except for a couple of them) even touched any food except their juice boxes. So, everything went to trash can there too. Anyway, everyone should try this cake. It was so good that I had to restrict myself not to eat it.
One Year Back: Cranberry White chocolate chip bars, Coconut Macaroons, Ginger Spice Cookies, Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
For the Chocolate cake batter:
All purpose flour - 2 1/4 cups
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Unsweetened Cocoa - 1/3 cup
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/2 Cup
Buttermilk - 1 1/2 cups
Vinegar - 4 1/2 tsp (I used apple cider vinegar)
Vanilla extract - 2 tsp

Peanut butter filling batter:
Peanut butter - 1/2 cup (I used regular smooth variety. Increase sugar if using natural peanut butter)
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 4 TBSP
Corn Starch - 2 TBSP
Water - 2 TBSP
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Mini Chocolate chips - 3/4 cup (If using chunks or regular sized chocolate chips, increase to 1 cup)

Method:
Mix all the ingredients mentioned in the peanut butter filling batter together with a fork. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 13 X 9 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Grease and flour it generously. Set aside. In a bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients mentioned in the section of for the chocolate cake batter. Whisk them together and make sure there are no lumps of cocoa.
In another bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, vinegar and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients to dry and mix just till everything is incorporated. Pour the batter (it will be thick) and spread it to the entire pan.
Drop the peanut butter filling mixture in spoonfuls all over the cake batter. Take a butter knife and cut through to get the marbled effect.
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool in the pan and slice when completely cool. You could frost it or leave it as is. Since it was for a holiday party, I put swirls of buttercream and decorated with some holiday sprinkles.

Enjoy. Pin It

14 comments:

  1. That's bad.....feeling sorry for all your hard work.....such a tasty treat deserves hungry(always) tummies like ours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was real bad, so much of hard work down the drain :( But, positive thinking, cake looks superb and one of the best u have baked.Cheer up!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was not your day at all...

    The cake looks yummy...Sad that they missed tasting a very delicious cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cake!!! Feel like digging in right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the recipe for the frosting, very new and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks super good...fantastic clicks..
    Wishing you n your family a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS N NEW YEAR..:)
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks beautiful..as well as yummy..
    Wishing you n your family a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS N NEW YEAR..:)
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully presented. Looks tempting :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.