- 3/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt (Might have to add more depending on how hot your muffins are)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal (I used stone ground)
- 1/2 TBSP baking powder
- 5 green chillies chopped very finely (You might increase it if you want it hotter)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 TBSP oil - divided use
- Mashed Avocado - 1/4 cup (It is a little more than half a medium size Avocado)
- 2 pods of garlic finely chopped
- 1 TBSP honey (You could use sugar here or even omit it altogether)
- Chopped cilantro - 1/4 cup
In a sauce pan, heat 1 TBSP of oil and saute green chillies, garlic, a pinch of salt and onion till onions are cooked. Add chopped cilantro, mix well and turn off the heat. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spray a mini muffin pan with vegetable oil spray. In a bowl, mix corn meal, all purpose flour, salt, baking powder. Stir to combine. In another bowl, mix oil, honey, mashed avocado and buttermilk. Stir well. Add the cooked onion garlic mixture to this and combine. Now, add the dry ingredients slowly and stir to combine. Don't over mix. Check for salt and add more if needed. Fill mini muffin pans almost full and bake for 12 - 15 minutes or till done. Cool on the wire rack and remove from the pan after 2 - 3 minutes. If you are using regular muffin pans, you might have to bake it for 18 - 22 minutes. I got 22 mini muffins from the above recipe.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Left overs can be reheated and eaten.
Happy Baking!! Pin It