Friday, December 7, 2012

Honey Rolls/Buns

When someone is baking 3 times a week for the main purpose of blogging, it becomes hard to choose what to bake. I cannot keep on baking cakes or cookies just because  I don't want too much sugary, fatty things sitting on the counter. I have baked a lot to just give it away in the past. But I feel guilty for giving all these high calorific food in case they are trying to watch what they are eating. So, here is something that serves the purpose of baking and blogging for me and which can be made as a part of regular meal so everyone is happy. My kids loved these for breakfast and they made me slice these in half and spread nutella to make nutella sandwich.

One Year Back - Lemon Coconut Bread, Vanilla Cake using Homemade mix
Two Years Back - Dry Fruit Yeast Bread/Cake
Three Years Back - Coconut Almond Cookies
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 4 cups
Active dry yeast - 2 1/2 tsp
Warm water - 1 cup
Yogurt - 1/4 cup (measured in dry measuring cup in place of 1 large egg)
Honey - 1/4 cup
Oil - 3 TBSP
Salt - 1 1/4 tsp

To brush before baking:
Honey - 1 TBSP
Milk - 1 TBSP

To brush after baking:
Less than 1 TBSP of butter

Method:
Bread Machine Method:
Place water, oil, yogurt, honey, salt, all purpose flour, yeast in this order in the bread machine pan. Select dough cycle (for a 2 lb loaf) and press start. (Usually the order is oil or butter, water, salt, sugar, flour and then yeast) When the machine beeps, check the dough. Make sure the dough is nice and smooth and not sticky. Adjust the flour or water if needed by 1 TBSP at a time. I didn't need any. Let the dough rise for 45 minutes and then gently deflate it. Transfer onto a greased area (I use a chopping board sprayed with vegetable oil spray) and divide the dough into 12 pieces.  Roll into balls and place in a 9 X 13 pan. Cover with a greased aluminum foil and let it rise for 45 minutes or till almost double in size. By this time, they'll have bulked up and touching each other.

Towards the end of rise time, preheat the oven to 400 F. Brush the rolls with honey and milk mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes. Mine were golden at 20 minutes. Let it stand in  the pan for 5 - 10 minutes. Brush with melted butter if desired.

Manual Method:
In a large bowl, take the warm water, honey and dry yeast. Let it stand for about 10 minutes or till frothy. Slowly start adding the flours, yogurt, oil, salt. Knead for about 10 - 15 minutes. Let it rest for about 45 minutes. Deflate the dough and divide them into 12 pieces. Roll them into the ball and proceed as given in the 'Bread Machine Method' section.

Check out what my friends are baking for this bake-a-thon :  Preethi, Veena, Priya, SrivalliSumana and Jayasri.

Enjoy.
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Cute and stunning rolls,nutella with this buns already drooling here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow can this be used as a Pav for Pav Bhaji???? I would love to try this Champa!!!
    Sowmya

    Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour
    Ongoing Event - Let's Party - Eggless Bakes and Treats
    Ongoing Event - SYF & HWS - Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely golden color. They are perfect for breakfast. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your baking recipes and I subscribe to your blog just for those! These honey rolls sound like just the thing I'm looking for, and nearly butter-less too! Will definitely try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi champa, Lovely looking rolls, love to try out these, must be sweet, I could make these for my daughter's lunch box, as she loves eating her bread with Jam :)),

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's super delicious buns Champa, I have this lined up and here you are posting..:)..I have not tried with honey would surely try it out..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can't take my eyes off the pics! They look so so yummm.... I'm definitely making it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi champa,
    Lovely recipe. I tried it last night and when they came out of the oven they were nice and soft but after a few hours they became dense and heavy. Any idea why? Where I made a mistake?
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelsera, I don't really know what happened when you made them, but if the rolls are baked at high temp and they cook too fast outside,and the inside is not cooked properly, it will be soft when still hot warm but will collapse and become dense. Had they raised enough would be the next question. Sorry, cannot really pin point without knowing how and what went wrong.

      Delete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.