Thursday, November 29, 2012

Yeasted Oatmeal Waffles (Vegan)

It is not so nice to eat cold cereal in the morning in winter. At least not for me and I feel kids feel the same. They ask for toast, pancakes and waffles more often these days. I had tried giving them hot oatmeal cereal but they never liked it for some reason. Then, long before I started blogging, I had made oatmeal pancakes. They refused to eat it because they could see the oats and didn't like the crunch. So, this time I made a batch of overnight yeasted oatmeal waffles. Since oats are soaked in boiling water, they are do not add to the texture of the finished product and kids didn't complain about oats.
One Year Back - Easy Fudge
Two Years Back - Peanut butter Blondies
Ingredients: 
Rolled oats - 1 cup (old fashioned oats)
Whole Wheat flour - 1 cup
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Active dry yeast - 1 1/2 tsp (Or use 1 tsp instant yeast)
Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp - 3/4 tsp
Flax seed meal - 1 TBSP mixed with 3 TBSP of warm water (or use 1 large egg)
Boiling water - 1 3/4 cups (boil and measure)
Sugar - 1/4 cup (Could use less)
Oil - 1/4 cup

Method:
In a bowl, add rolled oats. Pour boiling water on it. Let it cool down to luke warm. Then add all the rest of the ingredients. (If using egg, don't add it at this point, but just before making the waffles) Stir to combine. Cover and either refrigerate overnight or let it sit for an hour or two till bubbly. If refrigerating, remove the batter from the fridge and let it come to room temperature. Stir the batter and make waffles as per your waffle iron's specifications. This makes about 14 waffles of size 4" square. Serve with syrup or fruit compote.

Notes:
You could use part of the liquid as non dairy milk.You can get perfectly square ones by adding more batter but my waffle iron makes a mess even if I add a tsp more. I prefer to have less and no mess and that is the reason you see all waffles have broken edges.

Enjoy.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. looks tasty & delicious...mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice breakfast waffles!!! I am so looking for waffle recipes which are eggless!! thanks for sharing!
    Sowmya

    Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour
    Ongoing Event - Let's Party - Eggless Bakes and Treats

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.