Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Peanut Butter Blondies

Like most of the people who are interested in cooking/baking/food, I look up different things online. It doesn't mean that I will make everything (I probably would if I could find people to eat it). I was looking at some books on amazon and I saw Dorie Greenspan's  'Baking From My home to Yours' book. I wish I could buy that but I cannot justify spending to add one more book to my cook book collection. It had some preview in which, I found the recipe for peanut butter blondies. And since I am always trying to finish up the peanut butter jar in our house, I tried it. My kids and my husband loved it. I have followed the recipe exactly except for not using cinnamon and increasing the vanilla.
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Light brown sugar - 3/4 cup packed
Butter - 5 TBSP softened
Eggs - 2 large at room temperature
Peanut butter - 1/2 cup (I used smooth not natural)
Vanilla - 2 tsp
Milk chocolate chips - 1 cup
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Method:
Grease and line a 9" square pan with parchment paper. I used a 7 X 11 pan since the perimeter of them are the same. Grease the top of the parchment paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Set aside.
In a larger bowl, cream butter and peanut butter till creamy. Add sugars and continue to beat for 2 minutes. Slowly add the eggs one at a time and beat till everything is creamy. Add vanilla and add the dry ingredients slowly with mixer on a very slow speed. Do not over beat. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour the batter in to the prepared pan. You will have to push the batter to cover the pan. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the blondies are a deep golden in color.
The original recipe says to bake between 40 - 50 minutes. I checked at 30 minutes and then baked for an additional 10 minutes. I could have taken it out at 35 minutes to get a little softer blondies. The edges were a bit firm. But the pieces from the center were very nice textured and soft. So, keep an eye on the blondies starting from 35 minutes. Cool on the rack and cut when completely cool. You could cut them into decent sized 24 pieces or small 35 pieces if you use a 7 X 11 pan. Since this is such a rich dessert, I prefer them smaller.
You could use mini chocolate chips instead of regular sized chips. I am sure this would come out very good if almond butter is used in place of peanut butter. You will have to increase the sugar in that case though since almond butter is sugar free.

Enjoy!! Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Blondies word is so new for me...thanks for sharing this recipe...I would really appriciate to get an entry from your spave to the Healing Foods Event - Brocolli... You can find the details on my blog http://spicemantra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading the post I was thinking if I try my hands on this I'll go for almond butter as no one eats peanut butter here & u mentioned there at the end & thanks for telling about the sugar part too.....blondies looks so good, i've never eaten them, so it's going in to try list....

    btw liked your intro by suma on her blog.....every single word is true about U :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is very new to me. Would lvoe to try this. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look superb dear..Even I m planning to make them from a while...looks really tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks crisp and healthy with the peanut butter in these delicious cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seem lovely.. Wud love to have one of them.. now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious!! They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photography and they look yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these brownies... and wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.