Monday, October 17, 2011

Pancake and Waffle Mix

Did you know that I have been blogging for the past two years now? I started blogging regularly from last week of October 2009. Before that, there was only one post on this blog since July 2009. This is the longest I have stuck to a hobby. Many a times people ask why I blog. To be honest, I really don't know the answer to that question. I do know that it is a stress reliever for me and the satisfaction one gets from a positive feedback is priceless. So, I write this blog for those who might want to read and get some ideas of their own or to get some inspiration.

Coming to this 'mix', when I started making pancakes for my kid, I had the belief that Bisquick mix pancakes are the ultimate ones. I went and bought a box promptly. Followed the directions and made pancakes. They were good, I am not complaining. But do you know how bad they are for you? That is because of the shortening they use which is loaded with trans fat. The moment I read the whole thing, I dumped the box and went in search of a recipe. I have made many pancakes and waffles using many different recipes. But when I tend to get busy, this is the mix I like to have on hand. I specially mix it up and keep in the refrigerator when I am expecting company. When everyone visits, there are about 10 kids in the house and some adults like pancakes too. It can be made very quickly and easily if you have these in your refrigerator. I do not use shortening anymore. I use butter, but feel free to use 0 trans fat crisco if you wish. Or you could mix up only dry ingredients and use oil while mixing the batter - See Notes for that.

One year back -  Toasted Quinoa - One pot meal, Vegan Pumpkin Snack Cake
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 12 cups (See Notes)
Baking Soda - 1 TBSP
Baking Powder - 2 TBSP
Salt - 1 TBSP
Sugar - 1/4 Cup
Butter or Shortening - 1 1/2 Cups (See Notes)

Method for making the mix:
Mix all the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter or shortening till the mixture resembles coarse meal. I prefer using my food processor for this, but a plain pastry blender works too. Store in an air tight container at room temperature for 3 months if you used shortening. If you used butter, keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 3 months.

To make pancakes:
Pancake mix - 2 cups
Eggs - 2 large or equivalent (like flax egg or ener-G)
Buttermilk or sour milk - 1 3/4 cups

Method:
Mix all the ingredients mentioned above. Do not overmix. Few lumps here and there are good. Let it sit for couple of minutes and then start making pancakes.

To make Waffles:
Pancake mix - 2 cups
Egg - 1 or egg replacement.
Milk - 2 cups
Oil - 1/4 cup

Method:
Mix all and let the batter sit for few minutes. Make waffles as per the instructions from waffle iron's manufacturer. To get fluffier waffles, beat the egg white separately and fold with the rest of the ingredients. Of course it is not possible if you used egg substitute.

Notes:
You can mix up flours as per your needs. Use whole wheat flour but in that case, you will need more liquid than what is mentioned. You can use part whole wheat, barley, rye, buckwheat but just make sure you keep 60 % of the flour as one with gluten. You could add flavorings of your choice if you want like vanilla or cinnamon etc. Note that the liquid might have to be adjusted depending on how the flour was measured. Couple of TBSP more or less might be needed to get the right consistency depending on type of flour and how it was measured.

If you want to use oil instead and want to mix up all the dry ingredients and use oil when you are mixing the batter. Use 1/4 cup Oil for every two cups of mix while making the pancakes. Increase the buttermilk to 2 cups if needed. Increase the oil by 1/4 cup in case of waffles.

Enjoy.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Very impressive recipe dear.Luv it.Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! 2 years! A great time indeed! would love to see more posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow two in one, interesting mix..Wow thats great to know u r blogging for past two years now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on two years Champa.. I have been trying various pancake mix too, but I get lazy to make it right at the last min. Good to find this recipe where I can prepare the mix ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats dear on 2 years. Wow, you have done a lot in 2 years, you have almost created a "baking 101" here in your blog. I love it.

    Thanks for the pancake mix :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.