Monday, October 17, 2011

Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Bread

Don't be scared. It is not a bread baking week anywhere and I certainly am not following it. I had to somehow find many uses of the opened can of pumpkin. I wouldn't be surprised if I kept on making something with pumpkin the whole week. Sometime back, when I posted the 'Chocolate Chip Chocolate Bread', there were few comments asking me if we could make it egg less. Here is an example of how versatile that recipe is. You will not taste pumpkin at all. If you do want to taste pumpkin, reduce the cocoa and increase the flour by the same amount. My kids loved this bread. It is not too sweet, so if you like sweeter breads, increase the sugar to 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups.
One year back -  Toasted Quinoa

Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour - 2 1/2 cups
Unsweetened Cocoa - 1/2 cup (I used dutch processed but natural would work too)
Corn Starch - 3 TBSP
Sugar - 1 cup
Baking Powder - 2 tsp
Baking Soda - 2 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Water or brewed coffee - 1 cup
Pumpkin Puree - 3/4 cup
Vegetable Oil - 1/3 cup


Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray 4 mini loaves of size 5 X 3 with vegetable oil spray. In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt. In a bowl, whisk together water or coffee, oil, pumpkin puree, vanilla.  Pour this into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Do not over mix. Divide between the four loaf pans. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn it on to wire rack to cool completely. You can turn this into a single large loaf. In that case use 9 X 5 pan and bake for 55 - 60 minutes.
These might look a bit dry in the picture, but I assure you. They are not dry by any means. They are moist, not too sweet and pretty healthy too.
Enjoy.
Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Hi Champa,

    Looks more like a Pumpkin week rather than a bread one ;)..hehe

    Love the bread !

    The pumpkins do become a lot sweeter when baked, a comforting fall recipe !

    cheers ,

    abhilasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Champa! I've never used pumpkin in baking... If i were to use fresh pumpkin, how do i make the puree? Just peel, chop and puree or should i cook the cut pumpkins and then puree?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sum,
    You will have to cook it. You can either do it in the oven or in pressure cooker. If there is too much water, drain it since the canned one is very thick or adjust the liquid based on the water content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pumpkin with brewed coffee.. hmmm interesting combination..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice to look and easy to prepare pumpkin bread.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I can't wait to make this tonight. Do you think I could fit the mix in two normal-sized loaf pans?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dominique,
    Batter will fit in one 9 X 5 pan. If you use 8 X 4, it probably will still work but you will get a loaf with big hump and might not bake very well. In any case cover with aluminum wrap after 45 minutes of baking. Do let me know how it turned out. If you like it sweeter, increase the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, wonderful flavors! They sound delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Champa! Will try sometime and let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It fit fine in the 9x5 pan. It's very high, but I don't mind. I think next time I'll add more pumpkin or oil for moistness. It wasn't dry, but I think I'd like it even more moist. My coworkers gobbled the whole thing up. Very addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dominique,
    Thanks for the feedback. I am glad everyone enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Champa-- my comment about adding egg but removing/reducing oil was in regards to the chocolate pumpkin bread.

    Sorry for the confusion and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

    Thanks, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christina,
    If you want to use egg and cut down on oil, use 2 TBSP oil plus 1 large egg in this recipe. It should work fine. You could omit that too and use applesauce in the place of oil. End product will be a bit dense, but taste won't be compromised.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.