Thursday, May 6, 2010

Menthyada Gojju / Fenugreek Gojju

Have you ever thought about how one gets their cooking, talking or doing anything style? We basically learn everything by mimicking our elders. It goes without saying that we cook like our parents (whichever one cooked our meals). But, I do have to say that not only I know all of the things my mom cooked, I know a lot more that she doesn't know. How? I can find what I want and experiment lot easily compared to what my mom could when she was young.

Having said that, it probably won't be nice if I didn't mention that my mother is an excellent cook. She definitely can't bake, but she can cook very well. But there are certain dishes she never made or rather never cared enough to make them. One of them is this Gojju. I had eaten this at one of my friend's place but I was very young at that time and didn't bother asking how they made it. All of a sudden, I remembered it and tried to make it. I was surprised at the result. Pleasantly of course. So, here I am with my recipe..

Ingredients:
Dry Roast and powder:

  • Chana dal or bengal gram dal - 1/4 cup
  • Urad dal or black gram dal - 1/4 cup
  • Methi/ Fenugreek seeds - 1  TBSP
  • Red chillies - 10 or more as per taste
For the Seasoning and assembly:
  • Oil - 3 TBSP
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Red chillies - 1 broken
  • Curry leaves - a few
  • Hing - two big pinches
  • Tamarind - 1 lemon size soaked in water and juice extracted
  • Jaggery - 2 TBSP or to taste
  • Turmeric - a big pinch
  • Salt - to taste
Method:
Take the tamarind juice extracted in a bowl. Mix the masala powder and make a thin paste. If needed, add some water to get the required consistency. It should be more like a sambar consistency. In a pan, add oil. When hot, add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add red chillies, curry leaves, hing. When they are all toasted, add the tamarind mixed with the powders paste. Add turmeric, salt, jaggery and let it boil. Once it boils, simmer for couple of minutes until it reaches the desired consistency. Adjust the seasonings if required. This goes well with idli, pongal, rice.
Here is a picture of Pongal with this Gojju. I still haven't posted my Pongal recipe though. We'll save that for later..

Another one..
Note: You can definitely  make the powder in large quantity and store.
Happy Cooking!! Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Love fenugreek seeds in anything gojju looks incredible..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of gojjus:).The pic with pongal and gojju is sooo tempting.Btw,if u are interested u can send this for think spice event going on in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gojju look very yummy.The masala powder has very nice combinations.Will make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you...we all have our moms impact in our cooking style :) Goju looks like sambhar and the term Goju is new for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very dish to me. I have bookmarked this delicious recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. gojju looks delicious...love it..we eat this with purampoli..yeah we r the shadow of our mom..hats off to our moms for teaching us nice traditional dishes..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks simply lovely Champa :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gojju is new to me never tried it before.Looks very appetising.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one food that all of us love at home. And i love it more because it easily comes to my rescue when another side dish needs to be prepared in a short time....
    And for me, it ois very easy as there mostly would be 'menthyada hittu', which i use as base - learnt from mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fry a few whole channas in the seasoning till crisp and add it... it'll add a great crisp taste, esp if u're eating with rice...

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.