- Whole wheat flour - 2 1/2 cups
- Bread flour - 1 cup
- Warm water - 1 cup (The original recipe used 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup orange juice)
- Banana - 1 large ripe mashed coarsely (The original recipe used 1/3 cup of applesauce and I wanted to get rid of the banana)
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Brown Sugar - 3 TBSP packed
- Butter - 4 TBSP cut into pieces
- Vital wheat gluten - 2 TBSP (I added this and it was not in the original recipe)
- Instant dry yeast - 2 1/2 tsp
- Dried cranberries - 1 cup
- Melted butter - 2 TBSP for brushing after baking (optional)
Bread Machine Method:
Place all the ingredients in the bread machine pan except cranberries in the order specified by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle (for a 2 lb loaf) and press start. (Usually the order is oil or butter, water, salt, sugar, flour and then yeast) When the machine beeps, add the dried cranberries. Make sure the dough is nice and elastic as you might have to add a TBSP of water if needed. I didn't need any. Let the dough rise for 45 minutes and then gently deflate it. Transfer onto a greased area (I use a chopping board sprayed with vegetable oil spray) and divide the dough into 16 pieces. I made mine into 18. Roll into balls and place in a 9 X 13 pan. As you can see, I didn't do a great job of rolling them smooth. Cover with a greased aluminum foil and let it rise for an hour to 1 1/2 hours. By this time, they'll have bulked up and touching each other.
Towards the end of rise time, preheat the oven to 350 F. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes. Mine were golden at 30 minutes. Let it stand in the pan for 5 - 10 minutes. Brush with melted butter if desired.
In a large bowl, take the warm water. Add brown sugar and dry yeast. Let it stand for about 10 minutes or till frothy. Slowly start adding the flours, butter, mashed banana, salt. Knead for about 10 - 15 minutes. Now add the cranberries and knead them into the dough. Let it rest for about 45 minutes. Deflate the dough and divide them into 16 pieces. Roll them into the ball and proceed as given in the 'Bread Machine Method' section.
And a close up..
These buns are on way to Susan's 'Yeast Spotting' hosted here.
And this is my entry to 'Baking from a book - Breakfast' hosted by me here.
Happy Baking!! Pin It