Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fried Brown Rice and Quinoa - Chinese Style (Vegan, glutenfree)

I don't know what it is with the names of ingredients that can repel people from even trying it. Quinoa, Brown Rice, Zucchini, Broccoli, Oats, Tofu are in the list so far in our house. Problem is I like almost every one of these and if I cook with these, I will end up eating it alone and I have to cook something else for others which is not something I want to do on a daily basis. I had some spare time between work and on an impulse, I made this dish. Inspired by a noodle recipe on the back of Nasoya Tofu - I was planning on adding tofu, but realized that the tofu had expired and I didn't want to use it.
One Year Back - Whole Wheat Orange Bread
Two Years Back - Eggless Chocolate chip oat cookies
Three Years Back - Making of mermaid cake
Ingredients: 
Quinoa - 1/2 cup (I used Red Quinoa)
Brown Rice - 1 cup
Oil - 2 TBSP (Use peanut oil or sesame oil or canola oil)
Garlic - 2 pods grated
Ginger - 1 " piece peeled and grated
Sesame seeds - 1 TBSP
Red Onion - 1 medium sliced to thin strips
Cabbage - Thinly shredded about 1 1/2 cups
Green beans - 1 cup french cut
Carrot - 2 medium peeled and sliced into thin long strips
Salt - to taste
Rice Vinegar - 3 TBSP
Soy sauce - 4 TBSP
Brown Sugar - 1 - 2 TBSP
Hot sauce like Sriracha - 1 - 2 TBSP as per the taste (I used 2 TBSP)
Cilantro - 1/4 cup chopped

Method:
Wash and drain brown rice and quinoa. Add 3 cups of water and cook it in a rice cooker. When done, turn off and let it cool. Have all the vegetables chopped and ready. In a skillet or a wok, heat oil. When hot, add grated ginger, garlic followed by sesame seeds. When the seeds pop, add the onions and sprinkle some salt and let it cook. When onions are half cooked, add the rest of the vegetables in the order of green beans, cabbage and carrot. Stir and let them cook. You will have to frequently stir to make sure they don't stick to the bottom and burn. Add a TBSP or two of water if it starts to stick to the pan. When the vegetables are half way cooked, add the brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar and hot sauce. Stir and let the vegetables cook to your level of crunchiness preference. Add the rice and quinoa mixture and mix well. Adjust the salt and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot, warm. Left over heats up very well .

Notes:
You can add green onions as part of the garnish. I didn't have any. You can add cubes of tofu that are sauteed.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. same in my house.. brown rice, quinoa, oats are all bad words:( but i love them all... thanks for this healthy and tasty dish!!!
    Sowmya
    Event - Celebrate - Summer
    Event - Bake Fest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding! My husband went back for seconds. He did not notice it was made with brown rice and quinoa. This is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding! My husband went back for seconds. He did not notice the brown rice or quinoa. A keeper. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow fried brown rice, never thought of making fried rice this way,interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Champa, Adults in my house love Chinese in any form...I make this kind regularly for hubs luncbox....luckily he's happy getting this kinda lunch, except tofu, most of the other things are good to go here.....never tried to cook quinoa & b.rice together....though I use both of them. I usually throw in some sort of beans also, provided I have them in fridge already boiled....makes it complete meal... but yes, when it comes to kids it's all together diff. story

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.