Monday, October 11, 2010

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins

This last sunday was the last day of vegetable patch near my place. They closed up early this year. They used to keep it open till the week of Halloween. Anyway, they had so many pumpkins there that I couldn't resist buying one huge one. I made pumpkin puree out of it and froze for future use. Out of that puree, I made these muffins as snack for the kids. I have been using this recipe to make pumpkin muffins for couple of years now. But, I completely used whole wheat flour for the first time.

Ingredients:
Pumpkin Puree - 1 1/4 cups (I used homemade)
Eggs - 2 large
Vegetable or Canola Oil - 1/4 cup
Water - 1/3 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Whole Wheat Flour - 1 3/4 cups
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Ground Cinnamon - 1 tsp
Ginger powder - 1 tsp
Nutmeg powder - 1/8 tsp or a pinch
Cloves powder - 1/2 tsp
All Spice powder - 1/4 tsp

Method:
In a bowl, whisk together, flour, salt, baking soda, spice powders. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper cups or grease with vegetable oil spray. In another bowl, whisk pumpkin puree, water, eggs, oil very well. Add sugar and beat. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients to wet. Do not over mix. Just fold in slowly. Divide between the 12 paper cups filling 3/4 full. I use an ice cream scoop (with a wire that cleans the scoop) to divide the batter and fill the muffin cups.
 Bake for 20 - 22 minutes or till a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on the wire rack in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn it out on to the wire rack to cool completely.

Counting Calories..
Enjoy!! Pin It

7 comments:

  1. looks lovely..p'bly tastes heavenly..but lot of calories??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harini,
    Thanks for leaving a comment. It is not too much of calories if eaten as breakfast. You can use just egg whites (3) and reduce the calories from there. Calories from whole wheat flour and sugar can't be really reduced. Thank you for paying attention to it though. I used eggs since it was mainly for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow wounderful bake,muffins are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy looking! Texture looks lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pumpkin muffins and I love that you made this entirely with whole wheat flour ! Looks yum....

    ReplyDelete
  6. pumpkin is season and choc init I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think u know baking very well....muffins looks yummy and r sooooo healthy.that calorie count at the end is superb

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.