Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Banana Oatmeal Bread

I had some over ripe bananas to be used. At first I thought I'll make some muffins, but wanted to bake as a loaf instead. This recipe is based on Applesauce Oatmeal Bread from King Arthur Flour web site. But I made changes so that it becomes a banana bread. Here is my version..

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 TBSP flax seed powder mixed with 6 TBSP of warm water 
  • 1/4 cup  vegetable oil 
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 
  • 1 cup  Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup  rolled oats
  • 1 cup mashed banana
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnut
Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 X 5 loaf pan with vegetable oil spray. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, spices, rolled oats. Set aside. In another bowl, beat mashed banana, oil, applesauce together. Add vanilla, flax seed and water mixture and beat well. Pour into the dry ingredients. Mix till just combined. Batter will be quite thick. Stir in the walnuts. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes to 60 minutes or till the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then turn it on to wire rack to cool completely. Mine was done at exactly 55 minutes. Let it cool completely before slicing. My kids were in a hurry to eat it as soon as it came out of the oven. I had no other option but to slice the bread 15 minutes after it came out of the oven. Slices came out crumbly.


This is one of the best banana bread that I've ever baked and trust me I have had my share of making banana bread. Best part of this recipe is it is neither too sweet nor rich.



Happy Baking!!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I just love this banana oatmeal bread, my fav..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Champa,

    Hope you are enjoying the kids summer break! I tried this recipe 2 days back and it turned out to be very good. I used spelt flour 1c and whole wheat flour 1/2cup and reduced the sugar just to 2Tbsp with added raisins and choco chips. My kids love this one. Thank you very much..

    Take care
    Raji.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.