Friday, November 13, 2009

Potato Sticks snack

My younger one loves Haldiram's Pancharatan. It is basically potato shredded and deep fried, mixed with fried almonds, cashews, raisins and seasoned with salt, pepper and sugar, curry leaves. A bag is about 4 dollars and that gets spent in a week at home. When I was at Indian store yesterday, I saw potato sticks pack. Which is Potato parboiled and shredded and dried. When I saw my kid bringing a pack of her favorite snack and looking at the price, it was a light bulb moment for me. I picked up the pack of potato sticks thinking I'll try to mimic this mix. Was I successful, I don't know, but my kids are happily munching on it, so it is not a waste.

Here is how I made it.

Ingredients:
  1. Potato Sticks bag - 14 Oz
  2. Oil for deep frying.
  3. Salt to taste
  4. Pepper powder to taste
  5. Almonds - 3/4 cup
  6. Cashews - 3/4 cup
  7. Raisins - 3/4 cup
  8. Sugar - to taste or about 1/4 cup
Method:
Heat oil and when it is moderately hot (350 F), start frying the potato sticks handful at a time. Drain on paper towel. When you are done with frying the sticks, fry almonds, cashews and then raisins. Mix all together in a big bowl. Sprinkle salt, pepper powder, sugar and mix very well. Adjust the seasonings. The snack is ready.


Her is another picture..


Happy Cooking!! Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I used to love that potato snack too. It was one of my favorites! Great idea to use the potato sticks to recreate it-- looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.