Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Chocolate Chip and Candied Ginger Spice Muffins

Long time back, I had bought a pack of candied ginger from the Indian store thinking I'll make spice cookies using that. I had seen Ina Garten's show where she made them and wanted to try it. When I bought it, I forgot that no one likes ginger in my home except me. So, I dropped the idea of making these cookies. When I was cleaning the pantry, I came across this unopened pack and I had to use it up somehow. These are adapted from  here. I halved the recipe and made them egg less and also baked in mini muffin pan. My version goes like this...



Ingredients:
Whole wheat flour - 3/4 cup
All purpose flour - 3/4 cup
oil - 3 TBSP
Candied ginger chopped and then measured - 1/4 cup
Mini chocolate chips - 3/4 cup
Brown sugar - 1/2 cup
Milk - 3/4 cup
Sour cream or yogurt - 3 TBSP
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Ginger powder - 1/2 tsp
Cloves powder - 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/4 tsp






    Method:
    In a large bowl, mix all the spice powders, baking soda, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make sure there are no lumps in the brown sugar. Add the chopped ginger pieces and mix them well. They tend to stick together, but when you stir properly, they break up. In another bowl, mix together all the wet ingredients and let it sit for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray the mini muffin pan with vegetable oil spray or use liners. Mix the dry ingredients with wet gently folding. Add the chocolate chips and fold gently. Do not over mix. Batter will be thick. Using an ice cream scoop or a cookie scoop, scoop batter into the muffin pan. I got 20 mini muffins for this proportion. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes. Mine were done at 12 minutes. I loved these muffins, but my kids didn't care about them. They were happy to eat till they bit into ginger piece and then that was the end of it. But, this makes a very good base for any egg less muffin. Just omit the ginger pieces and spices and add vanilla. You could increase the sugar if needed, but I felt they were just right. Texture was very good. Held up good for an egg less muffin. I shared the same muffins with my neighbor who has 3 kids under the age of 6 and ironically they all loved them and asked for more. All in all, a very good recipe for a ginger lover.

    Happy Baking!! Pin It

    3 comments:

    If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.