Monday, November 23, 2009

Blondies from a cake mix

I am a big scratch baker. But, I always buy and store some cake mixes in my pantry for times when I hardly have 15 minutes to spare to mix up the batter. I never make cake out of these mixes. It can be any brand (as long as they do not have animal fat in them), yellow, white, spice, banana are the few things I buy to make cookies when I don't have time to cream the butter and sugar and make the dough from scratch. One of the other things I make with these are blondies. Blondies are basically chocolate chip cookie dough baked in a pan and cut into squares. The recipe is adapted from Cake mix Doctor book.

Ingredients:
  1. Cake mix - 1 pack I have used yellow cake mix here.
  2. Butter - 1 stick or 1/2 cup melted.
  3. Eggs - 2  You could use Ener-G egg replacer here.
  4. Light brown sugar - 1/2 cup
  5. Vanilla - 1 - 2 tsp.
  6. Semi sweet chocolate chips - 1 cup.

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Rub a 13 X 9 aluminum cake pan with the butter wrapper that you used the butter slab of. Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add brown sugar, vanilla, eggs to it. Mix and then dump the whole pack of cake mix to it. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Stir in chocolate chips. Dump the dough on to the pan and spread evenly with the spatula. score couple of places with a fork. Don't worry, they won't be visible after baking. It is just to make sure they don't puff up in the center. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you are using a dark coated non - stick pan or a glass pan, reduce the temperature to 325 and bake 3 - 5 minutes longer. Cool on wire rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Typically this should make 24 bars ( 6 X 4 rows), but I have always cut them into 7 X 5 to get 35 pieces. It stays fresh for a week in room temperature and you can freeze them for up to 3 months.


Variations:
I have used white cake mix or yellow cake mix with chocolate chips or butterscotch chips. Banana cake mix with chocolate chips. Spice cake mix with raisins and walnuts. Use your imagination.


Happy Baking!! Pin It

6 comments:

  1. First time to ur beautiful blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, Welcome and thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice recipe champa..Thanks for clarifying about shortening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious,liked the crescent rolls too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priya, Sushma, thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you must be a great baker...buying store bought is my kind of thing.:( I go weak on my knees when it comes to baking a cake.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.