Monday, June 10, 2013

Biriyani Masala (Powder)

Biriyani is one of the famous rice dishes of Southern India. Rice mixed with either vegetables or meat that is cooked in a rich array of spices make a meal by itself. This is one of those recipes which is a little elaborate to make but well worth the time and effort. All of a sudden, I wanted to eat it. I made this masala and ended up making the biriyani also. But, I shared it with my neighbors and didn't have any left by the time I decided to take pictures. So, that will follow soon when I make it again.
One Year Back - Overnight Yeast Waffles
Two Years Back - Roasted Red Bell Pepper Dip, Kitchen Survival Tips for a host
Three Years Back -  Easiest Lemonade
Adapted barely from Vahrehvah Chef
Ingredients: 
Mace / Japathri - 1/4 tsp (not powder)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Bay Leaf - 3 whole
Black Cumin / Shah Jeera - 1 tsp
Kasoori Methi - 1/2 tsp
Black Cardamom - 4
Cinnamon Sticks - 4 of length 2"
Cloves - 10 - 12
Coriander - 3 TBSP (whole)
Cumin - 1 1/2 TBSP
Green Cardamom - 10
Black Pepper corns - 10 - 12
Red Chilli Powder - 1 TBSP

Method:
Grind all the whole spices together in a coffee grinder or a dry grinder into as fine as you can get. Mix in the turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix well. Store in an air tight container and use within 3 months.

Use this powder as the masala. You will need about 4 tsp of this powder for every cup of rice you use in your biriyani.

This post is written for weekend cooking post that I write with Srivalli  and  Vaishali, 

Enjoy.
Pin It

3 comments:

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.