Saturday, January 7, 2012

Quick and easy Salsa

Almost every person I have met in my life likes Salsa. It could be mild version or a fiery hot version, but they do like it. What's not to like in it anyway? Being used to moderately spicy food all my life, that is something I can enjoy when I am dining out. When I saw the title of Restaurant Style Salsa, it caught my attention. You might wonder why I haven't used the same title for this post. Because, I felt this salsa was way better than the restaurant one. It could be the addition of pineapple that did the trick or whatever, it was a big hit. Makes a huge amount, so unless you plan on eating two bags of chips to finish this salsa and gain few pounds, make it for company. All the folks who ate it loved it very much.
One year back - Sundried Tomato and Olive Bread
Two years back - Apple Butter Spice Bread
Adapted from Pioneer woman via Browneyedbaker
Ingredients:
28-ounce can whole tomatoes (peeled) with juice
1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped red onion ( 1 small red onion will do)
1 clove garlic, chopped
4 - 5 jalepeƱo, quartered and sliced thin or per taste
1/2 cup - 1 cup cilantro chopped roughly
Crushed Pineapple with juice - 1 cup or 8 Oz can
Juice from 1/2 a fresh lime
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Method:
Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fit with chopping blade. Pulse until desired consistency is required. Pulse less for chunkier salsa and more for a smoother version. Refrigerate for an hour before serving with chips. You might be tempted to add more salt, but when you are serving with chips which has quite a bit of salt, it balances out. So, eat with the chips and then adjust if required.

Notes:
Original recipe used two cans of diced tomatoes (10 Oz each). What I had was a 14 1/2 Oz can and I just added a cup of crushed pineapple to give that extra sweet and tangy taste along with compensating for the lack of 5 Oz of diced tomatoes. I also added more Jalapeno peppers since my tomatoes were not the kind with green chillies in them.

Enjoy.
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Wow a pineapple salsa sounds very appetizing..but just as you said I don't want us to gorge on chips just yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I love that it's made with a lot of things I usually have on hand - plus that pineapple sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..that looks super super tempting..nice recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pineapple Salsa sounds amazing!
    The ingredients you have pushed in are just wow!!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.