Friday, December 30, 2011

No Knead Bread Sticks

When I announced the Bake-A-Thon, I did not know that I would get sick with horrible cold and cough. Little did I know that I would need couple of visits to the dentist. So, I could not post for couple of days and catching up is not as easy as I thought. Here is the bread sticks that my kids love and good thing about this recipe is, it doesn't need any kneading.

One year back - Cake Decorating Basics - Part 9
Two years back - Rava Laddoo
Adapted from - King Arthur Flour
Ingredients:
Warm water - 3/4 cup
All purpose flour - 1 3/4 cup
Salt - 1/2 tsp plus more for sprinkling
Instant yeast - 1 1/2 tsp
Olive oil - 2 TBSP plus more for drizzling and for pan
Italian seasoning to sprinkle before baking (optional)

Method:
In a bowl, mix 2 TBSP olive oil, water, yeast, salt, flour with a wooden spoon. Mix till no dry flour is visible. This is a super sticky dough. Grease a 9 X 13 pan with olive oil. Dump the dough on to the pan and press to cover the entire pan. With a pizza slicer, score the dough into 8 or 10 pieces. Cover and let it rise for an hour or till puffy. Towards the end of rise time, preheat the oven to 375 F. Drizzle couple of TBSP of olive oil on the top, sprinkle with italian seasoning and coarse salt (optional). Bake for 25 minutes or golden. Remove from the oven and let it stand till it is easy to handle. Slice through the scored marks and stand the pieces on the cut side. Return to the oven to bake for 5 minutes for soft texture or 10 minutes for a little stiff bread sticks that is perfect for dunking in sauce. Serve warm with marinara sauce.

I am posting this as the post for bake-a-thon's day 27. My fellow bloggers doing it with me are - Preethi, Veena, Priya
Linking it up to Kid's delight - Vegan and egg less bakes hosted by Priya, started by Srivalli

Enjoy.
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Well done Champa,cant wait to try this no knead bread sticks..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're alright now, Champa... This is a nice and easy one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! I had tried these previously, but I guess I have used the wrong pan size and the texture was not great..For half the recipe a perimeter of 22, how do I do this Champa?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suma,
    Do you have a 8X4 loaf pan? That should work perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely recipe..great for tea time..was just wondering if the sticks get enough space to rise in the pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taste Junction, Oh yes. They don't rise much. They are not even very fat.

      Delete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.