Monday, May 30, 2011

Oats and Cashew Milk

I am a woman - Geez, you didn't know that already?
I have two kids.
I have two kids who were nursed when they were babies.
Does it make me a cow?
Yes - for them.
One need not be a cow to make milk.
One need not be a woman to make milk either. Not any more.
I made Almond milk sometime back. I made Oats and Cashews Milk now.
If I can do it, you can too.

One year back -  Kesar Nan Khatai and Molasses oat bran cookies
Adapted from - Joy the baker
Ingredients:
Cashews - 1/2 cup
Rolled Oats - 1/2 cup
Raisins - 3 TBSP (I used golden raisins - optional)
Sweetener like maple syrup or agave nectar - optional - I didn't use any.
Water - 4 cups plus to soak the cashews.

Method:
Soak cashews in 1 1/2 cups of water overnight or for about 6 hours. Drain. Set aside. In a blender or a food processor, take 1/2 cup of rolled oats. Process to make fine powder. Add cashews to it, raisins if using and slowly add 1/2 cup water at a time and process till smooth. If using food processor, don't use all the water. It will make a mess. When it is smooth, transfer it to a container and add the remaining water. Let it sit for about an hour. Strain through a fine mesh strainer or through a cheese cloth if you don't want the bits of cashews and oats. I strained through a strainer and didn't get much of the solids at the end at all. Refrigerate and use within 4 - 5 days. This milk will settle, so stir before using.

I drank some. And it is not too sweet. You can add more sweetener if you like. Or boil it and add some cardamom and sugar and make a delicious sweet drink or payasam. You get about 4 cups of milk which cost me less than a quarter. To buy the same, you probably will end up spending about 2 dollars or so.

Happy Memorial day. Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Super delicious milk :) haven't thought of anything of this kind :)Very new and lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic milk, quite unique and healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! nicely said and nicely made.!! keep it coming!

    -Richa @Hobby And More Blog
    Hobby And More on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, drool worthy and healthy milk,simply inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting and healthy milk !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making milk from oats and nuts, who would have thunk it?! This looks like an interesting way to healthy up my dairy intake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nutritious, tasty and healthy ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent!!! liked the idea of healthy milk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Champa, you are funny!..lovely clicks. You thick we can curdle this and make cheese like paneer?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone.
    Srivalli,
    Should be able to do it since tofu is basically the same. But don't know how to do the curdling process for this. You are making me think now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thas nice and healthy combo drink

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very healthy & nutritious home-made milk. Will have to try. How long would this last in the fridge??

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow Champa, loved your first few sentences, LOL :)

    Never knew we could make milk out of this, other than regular cow's and soy milk, I only knew of coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love non-dairy milks! i want to try this combo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just made a 96 oz bottle of this and it tastes amazing. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I buy your idea of making oat and nut milk. wonderful thought of curdling. did it work out? If yes then opens up a window for an array of dishes..
    happy cooking & blogging
    Renuka

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for this recipe. I have made it several times. I am allergic to milk and getting dairy free, affordable items is difficult here in Brazil. This milk also makes super good pancakes! My family loves them and they are more filling than regular pancakes.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.