Saturday, July 24, 2010

Home made Almond Milk

First Homemade almond butter, then Homemade chocolate almond spread, now homemade almond milk?

Yes, call me crazy but I am nuts about this nut.

I'll let you in a secret about myself today. My patience level is probably 4 on a scale of 1 - 10.
This is so true when it comes to making something in the kitchen. I conceive the idea and immediately I have to make it, no matter what. This is exactly what happened yesterday. I got the idea of making some eggless banana sourdough pancakes. I wanted a vegan version so I needed something other than dairy milk. I don't keep soy milk at home all the time. So, I thought almond milk and bananas with some flax seed should be damn healthy right? I didn't have almond milk either so I decided to make almond milk by myself.

Bummer was the almonds have to soak in water for at least 8 hours. With great difficulty, I distracted myself and made 'tomato focaccia' and called it a day.
But today is a different story altogether. I made almond milk and I'll post the pancake recipe sometime soon. But this is how I made almond milk.

Ingredients:
Almonds - 1 cup
Water - 3 cups
Pitted Dates - 3 or use some sugar or maple syrup to sweeten it

Method:
Cover almonds with enough water so that they are submerged in water and leave the container in the refrigerator over night. In the morning, rinse and drain the almonds and place in a blender. Use part of the water (from 3 cups of water) to facilitate the motor and add the dates or maple syrup or sugar and run the machine for 2 - 4 minutes. Add the remaining water and churn for 10 - 15 seconds.
Line a strainer with several layers of cheesecloth and pour the ground almonds into it. Gather together the cheesecloth and squeeze to extract all the milk. Yield from the above proportion was 3 cups of almond milk. Always stir before using it.
Wait, don't throw the almond pulp. Use it as part of flour in a cookie or bread recipe.
This stays in the refrigerator for 4 days not more than that. I haven't tried boiling this to pasteurize and storing for longer duration, but I would think it can be done. Same method can be applied to make rice milk, soy milk at home too.
You can use this milk for making smoothies or other desserts which have a nutty flavor.
If you are an almond lover like I am, check out my recipe index. I have made cookies to savory pasta using this beautiful nut.

Enjoy!! Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Almond milk sounds yumm and healthy Champa...

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...it sounds so healthy dear....looks very nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and really inviting almond milk, nothing will beat the homemade almond milk for the sure..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its good that you have low levels of patience then you will get things done. the almond milk is a great idea. Looks like you baked a whole bunch of other things before the almond milk was baked. When did you change the blog layout?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with U on being nuts about almonds as well as on patience level....yesterday was similar kind of day for me.....already planed the post in my mind but still haven't taken pics......love almond milk should try to make it at home now.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this recipe..so useful..

    ReplyDelete
  7. with u on patience and almonds champa....almond milk looks inviting,nutritious and healthy...bful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to make it at home than buying it from store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow home made almond milk thats wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool that you made almond milk at home, looks yum !

    ReplyDelete
  11. that sounds great dear. Anything home made is always goo d:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. my little girl, is a milk fiend, but i have told her that its not good for her and she cant drink it at home any more; she can have it in her cereal. i did ,however, give her almond milk that i sweetened with agave, and she loves it! i am so glad you shared with us how to make it, cuz she drinks a good 3 cups a day. so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, Thanks for the comment. If you live in a place where there is an Indian grocery store, check it out for good priced almonds.

      Delete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.