Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Whole Wheat Eggless Banana Muffins

I wanted to make the title of this post as 'Perfecting an egg less Banana Muffin'. Yes, you read that right. I used a different approach to replace eggs and it was very successful. It is not something new to many people, but I had never experimented with it. These were made for snack box for my kid and needless to say she loved it very much. I loved the texture of it. I have baked many egg less muffins, but either they are soft and crumbly or they don't get a nice shape. This had no issues whatsoever. But, I can't give credit to the egg replacer I used alone. Since Banana also acts as egg substitute, it could just be the combination. I will try this method on couple more recipes and we'll decide then.

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Flour - 1 1/2 cups
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Ripe Banana - Mashed 1 cup (about 2 large)
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/4 cup
Milk - 1/4 cup
Vanilla - 1 tsp

To replace 2 egg whites:
Corn Starch - 3 TBSP
Warm water - 3 TBSP
Vegetable Oil - 1 1/2 tsp

Method:
Line a 12 cup standard size muffin pan with liners or spray with vegetable oil spray. Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Whisk together and keep aside. In another bowl, combine mashed bananas, oil, milk, vanilla. In another small bowl, take the contents mentioned in 'To replace 2 egg whites:' and beat them till very well combined. Add this mixture to the wet ingredients and beat well.  Now slowly add the dry mixture to the wet and fold in. Do not over mix. Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups filling 3/4 cup full. Bake for 22 - 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then turn on to the wire rack to cool completely.

Notes:
My calculation for egg whites substitution is based on 4 egg whites equal 3 whole eggs. So, I used 1 1/2 egg substitution. One egg = 2 TBSP of corn starch + 1 tsp of veg. oil + 2 TBSP of warm water.

Counting Calories:
 Happy Baking!! Pin It

9 comments:

  1. definitely a tempting cake recipe to enjoy any time..

    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect Champa!! I have been meaning to bake some muffins for the kids and good eggless recipes are real life savers at times:-) And your egg replacer will come in very handy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy, definitly makes a healthy breakfast for kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. now I also have shifted to bake with wholewheat flour. these muffins look very moist and crunmbly.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.