Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sweet Ricotta Loaf

What do you do with half used sour cream, ricotta cheese containers. You have to figure out something to do within a week of opening it. I had one such half container of ricotta sitting in my refrigerator. I didn't have enough to make 'Peda' and I was in no mood to make 'Pasta'. Then I realized that if I adapt my 'Eggless Brioche', I can actually make a ricotta bread. I used ricotta cheese instead of tofu and reduced the butter since ricotta has enough fat in it. This bread was one of the best breads I have baked; very flavorful and delicious.

Ingredients:
  • Bread Flour - 2 2/3 cups
  • Salt - 1/2 tsp
  • Sugar - 6 TBSP
  • Dry Yeast - 2 1/4 tsp
  • Ricotta cheese - 3/4 cup (I used part skim)
  • Warm Water - 6 TBSP
  • Butter - 2 TBSP plus more for brushing the loaf after baking


Method:
In a large bowl, mix warm water and yeast. Let it stand for about 10 minutes or till frothy. Add sugar, salt, ricotta cheese, melted butter and mix well. Slowly start adding flour to make a smooth ball. Knead for about 10 minutes. Coat with oil and cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 45 minutes to an hour. Deflate the dough. Grease a 9 X 5 pan with vegetable oil spray. Shape the dough into a loaf and place in the pan. Cover with an oiled aluminum foil and let rise for about 45 minutes to an hour.
Towards the end of the second rise period, preheat the oven to 375 F. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325 F and tent the pan loosely with aluminum foil. Continue baking for another 15 minutes or till dark brown and sounds hollow when the bottom is tapped. Brush with melted butter. Cool completely before slicing.

Note:
This bread gets a dark color due to ricotta cheese. It isn't burnt. I used the bread machine on dough cycle to make the dough. All I had to do was shape the dough at the end of the cycle and place it in a pan and let rise one more time before baking.


I am sending these loaves to Susan's 'Yeastspotting'.
Happy Baking!! Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Thats a beautiful loaf, looks scrumptious..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very delicious loaf.Perfectly baked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bread looks so spongy, am sure it tasted great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Champa, that looks very very delicious and that too with nutella :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful! Love the use of the left over ricotta :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't you a pro now. That looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking loaf of bread. Ricotta is great for baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bread looks so soft from inside...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful loaf! I want to give this a try...and I don't even have any leftover ricotta...I'll have to buy some specifically for this =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I've subbed ricotta for sour cream in a quick bread but never used it in yeast bread. What a great idea and it looks fabulous! I must try this as my daughter is sensitive to eggs and soy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. Ricotta loaf looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cheese and bread always belong in the same sentence. Good job using up leftovers in a creative way!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.