Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chikkoo Milk Shake

I am sure if you all start cleaning your freezers, you'll have some things to use up, some things to throw. I had some to use-up before it went bad. A bag of frozen Chikkoo. I had bought it some time back thinking I'll make some chikkoo ice cream. Never got around to it. I didn't have the patience to make ice cream this weekend. So, I made a chikkoo milk shake. It was perfect timing since I served this as evening snack for my kids. Got fruit, milk and what else can be more healthy for them?

Ingredients:
  • Chikkoo/ Sapota - 12 Oz frozen pack (If using fresh, use about 4 - 5)
  • Cold milk - 2 cups
  • Sugar - 1/3 - 1/2 cup
  • Flavoring - optional (you could use cardamom, vanilla or almond extract. I didn't use any)


Method:
If using frozen chikkoo, thaw for about 30 minutes. Place them in a blender and puree them. Add little bit of milk, sugar and blend further. Add the rest of the milk and blend. If using fresh chikkoo, remove the skin and seed and puree in a blender with milk, sugar. Refrigerate till serving. When ready to serve, mix well and pour into serving glasses and serve.

I took these pictures when they were just blended and poured into the glass. You can see the bubbles making spots on the surface. My kids loved them and so did I. Best part is this can be a meaningful breakfast too.

Srivalli couldn't have announced 'Thanda Mela' at a better time.  Needless to say, I am sending this as an entry to her event.

Enjoy!! Pin It

11 comments:

  1. wow this looks so yumm!! its been a long time since i've had chikkoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Champa. A perfect entry for Thanda Mela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been ages i had milk shake with chikkoo, looks refreshing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shake...perfect entry for the event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very healthy chikoo shake for the summers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very healthy chikoo shake for the summers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yumm.. love chikoo milk shake..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one...I didn't knew u can get frozen chikko's...i'll look for in my Indian grocerry store....my fav. & even DD loves them thou it's been long time since she had it last time but she still remembers it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even I didn't know that frozen chikoo was available, but we get fresh ones here when it is season. A couple of months back I found canned chikoo puree (just like mango puree). I was so excited that I got one for trying the milkshake but it was a disaster. It was gross. The puree turns black once it is out of the can and the milkshake is bitter. It was well within the expiry date. I'm writing this here because if anybody else happens to find it in the Indian store just think twice before buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the lovely entry

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.