Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Roasting Rava/Soji in the oven

If you read my previous post, you must have read that I like to buy perishable grocery in bulk. One of them is Rava/Soji. My mother always used to roast it and store it for months. This prevents bugs from getting in. Even though I don't have to worry a lot about bugs here, I still roast and store it so that when I have to make uppittu/upma, it gets done in a jiffy. I used to roast them in a conventional way in a big skillet before, but then I started roasting them in the oven. Advantage of it is I don't have to stand in front of the hot stove and keep stirring it. How do I do it, that is what this post is all about..

Take one or two cookie sheets. Line with aluminum foil. In this picture, you can see a 12 X 18 jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with edges) and I have put 3 cups (measured in standard measuring cups) of rava or soji. Spread it uniformly. If you are using a smaller pan, you might have to put less so that it roasts evenly. Make sure the depth is not more than 1/4 inch at least.




Preheat the oven to 250 F. Place the cookie sheet or sheets in the oven and leave it in the oven for 30 minutes or till done. You will have to stir it once or twice in between. I just do it with a wooden spoon in the oven it self. If you are using more than one cookie sheet at the same time, don't forget to rotate the pans at half time. When cool, store it in the air tight container. All you have to do while making upma is cook the veggies in the tadka and mix the rava and pour boiling water. There aren't too many things to show in this, but here is how it looks after it is roasted.

But, please remember that this time is for the given temperature and given thickness of the rava on the baking sheet. It is always good to check if it is done couple of times until you get used to this system and measurements.

And I made upma today using this rava.

Happy Cooking!!
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. That's a neat idea, and it will not need us to stand at the stove constantly stirring it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. Instead of standing in front of stove..this is a short cut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you visiting my blog and leaving a comment.... never tried marshmellow fondant icing....will try soon :)....

    Rosting rava in the oven is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow it takes only 30 minutes for you ha i have to leave it at 250 F for more than 2 hrs to get proper roast. Probably i should use a bigger tray next time and try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey thanks for this nice idea........ thats the easiest thing i could imagine.. will try that out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for such a great tip. Can you roast vermicelli in the same way for semiya upma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can. You might have to stir/shake more frequently though.

      Delete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.