Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Tomato and Peanut chutney

I know I have been missing in action lately. Let's just say I got preoccupied with some other stuff. Some important, and some not so much. But as I tell others, I might jump from one hobby to another but cooking, baking and food passion never really leaves me. And I realized that today when I made four new stuff in a row. Obviously I have to write about the whole thing which takes time, but watch out for some cool things I whipped up today.
This chutney was half impressed by a north karnataka chutney recipe and half my own imagination and the necessity of using up the stuff. I don't like raw garlic that much so I sauteed it. You can use it raw and add favorite herbs like cilantro or mint.

One Year Back - Vegan Butternut squash muffins
Two Years Back - Asian Style Dill Rice
Ingredients:
Crushed tomatoes - 28 Oz can or use about 1 1/2 lb of tomatoes (If using fresh tomatoes, chop them into chunks)
Pineapple - about 1 cup cubes (optional - I had it so I used it)
Red Onions - 3 medium chopped into chunks
Garlic - 4 pods crushed
Green chillies - 10 - 12 whole, stalks removed
Peanuts - 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup
Cumin - 1 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1 TBSP
Jaggery or Brown sugar - 1/3 cup or to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste

Tempering:
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - few

Method:
In a pan, heat 2 tsp of oil. When hot, add cumin seeds. When they pop, add garlic, green chillies and peanuts. Stir frequently to toast the peanuts well. After few seconds, add sesame seeds and stir well so they get toasted too. When peanuts are toasted, add chopped onions and sprinkle some salt. When onions are cooked, add tomatoes, pineapple if using and jaggery or brown sugar. Mix well and let the tomatoes get soft. Turn off the heat and let it cool a bit. Take the contents and grind into a paste. You will not need any water so don't use any. Adjust the salt if needed. Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil. When hot, add mustard seeds. When they pop, add curry leaves and pour it on to the chutney. Serve with idlis, dosas or it is delicious mixed with rice too.

Enjoy.
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. welcome back champa!!! chutney rocks and yes I am waiting here to see all the new stuff you tried!! do you still have any left in baking to try????????
    Sowmya

    Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come back soon in full action Champa.. Missing u around here!!
    Your chutney is cool... I make a diff variety of tomato peanut chutney...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never tried this combo,interesting chutney.

    Glad to see back Champa.Was wondering where you have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you back, keep cooking :)
    Chutney looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you back.. keep cooking!
    Delicious chutney!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.