Sunday, July 1, 2012

Vegan Applesauce Cranberry Bread

A quick post for you all. I made this quick bread for snack. I have a question for you all today. One of my friends bought egg whites in a carton. She didn't want to use it and she asked if there is anything I could do with it. Since I suck big time at separating eggs, I thought why not use them to make some angel food cake or some chiffon cake. But, it has added stuff in it. Will it still whip like a natural egg white? Have you tried whipping egg whites from a carton? Do leave a comment if you know the answer.  No you won't qualify for any giveaway for this. It is just to help me out come up with a chiffon cake or angel food cake on this blog.
One Year Back - Chocolate Strawberry Muffins, Honey Cardamom Ice cream
Two Years Back - Broken Wheat Pongal
Adapted very widely from Best Muffins and Quick Breads by Pillsbury.
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Canola Oil - 1/3 cup
Orange juice - 1/2 cup
Applesauce - 1 cup (I used sweetened one)
Sugar - 1/2 cup (Increase it to 3/4 cup if using unsweetened applesauce)
Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Sweetened dried cranberries - 3/4 cup (You could use raisins instead)
Flax meal - 2 TBSP mixed with 6 TBSP of warm water in place of 2 eggs

Method:
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a 9 X 5 loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans with vegetable oil spray. Or you could use 12 cup muffin pan. In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside. Take about a TBSP of the dry mixture and coat the cranberries with it. Set that aside too. In another bowl combine applesauce, oil, sugar, applesauce, flax and water mixture till everything is mixed well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine taking care not to over mix. Stir in the cranberries. Pour into the prepared pan/s and bake till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Mini loaf pans - 3 of them takes about 35 minutes. 
One large loaf pan  takes 50 - 60 minutes. 
Makes 12 muffins in about 18 - 20 minutes.

Enjoy.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. bread recipe sounds yumm.. looks very good

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. like the cranberry in bread,so far I stick to herbs. Looking at this bread I need to move out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.