Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Yeasted Applesauce Whole Wheat Bread

When I was in grad school, one of my classmates who was in her mid thirties became a good friend of mine. She had told me once - "When you walk in to a room to do something and totally forget what it was when you get to the room, that is a sign that you are in mid thirties". I, who was in mid twenties at that time had laughed at it. But it is so true. Every person has his/her strengths, weaknesses. One of my strength is 'memory' or so I thought. But, I forgot that I was out of vital wheat gluten and happily started making this bread. Remember (if you could) that this bread has better texture when made with vital wheat gluten or use just plain bread flour or all purpose flour. Great to make when you have an opened bottle of applesauce that needs to be used up.
One year back -  Curried pasta with Green Tomato Sauce
Ingredients:
Whole Wheat flour - 3 cups (I used King Arthur Flour brand)
Warm Water - 1/4 cup
Sweetened applesauce - 1 cup (If using unsweetened, add 2 TBSP of sugar)
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Instant yeast - 2 tsp (Use 2 1/2 tsp if using active dry yeast)
Raisins - 1 cup (optional)

Method:
To make the dough by hand:
Mix applesauce and warm water. Sprinkle yeast on the top and let it get foamy. Set aside for about 5 - 10 minutes until it is ready. Take flour, salt in a large bowl. Mix them and make a well in the center. Pour the applesauce, water, yeast mixture in the center and start mixing the dough.  When all the flour has been mixed to make a dough, start kneading for about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Knead in the raisins if using. Make a ball and coat with oil all over. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for about 1 hour. Dough might not double. As long as the indentation remains when you press, it is ready for shaping.

To make the dough in a bread machine:
Add all the ingredients in the order of applesauce, water, salt, flour, yeast and start it on the dough setting. When it beeps, add raisins and see that the dough is not sticky. If sticky, add a TBSP of flour at a time to fix it. When the dough cycle completes, deflate and proceed with shaping.

Deflate the dough and shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 9 X 5 pan (See Notes). Cover with oiled plastic wrap or aluminum foil and let it rise for the final time about 45 minutes to an hour or till the dough comes till the rim of the pan.  Preheat the oven to 375 F towards the end of the rise time. You might prefer to brush with milk and oil mixture to get a nice crust color. I didn't do any of those. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn down the temperature to 350 F and bake for another 20 minutes or until nicely browned and the internal temperature registers 200 F. If you don't have the thermometer to check it, it should sound hollow when tapped at the bottom.

Cool in the pan on the rack for 10 minutes and then turn it on to the wire rack to cool completely. You can brush the top of the loaf with some oil if desired. Slice when completely cool.

Notes:
This bread is not a real high riser. A 8 X 4 pan would've given me a loaf with better height.

This loaf is being yeastspotted.

Enjoy.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Homemade bread for breakfast.. sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this bread looks so yummy and homey and fall-y. can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bread is currently proofing as I type :) thanks SO much for this yummy-looking recipe; I can't wait till it's done!
    -Cai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Champa, it's me again, Cai! I just wanted to let you know... the bread turned out WONDERFULLY! I posted some photos, and gave you, your blog & the recipe a shoutout over on my blog. No self-advertising or anything, but I thought you'd like to see it! Once again, the bread was great, and very low-calorie! Have a good day!
    -Cai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cai,
    Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. glad I discovered this recipe!!! SO good. I added pecans and flaxseeds to the top along with a ton of cinnamon into the dough:) YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan,
      Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you liked it.

      Delete

If you have a question and you leave it as a comment, I'll surely answer the question to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for visiting.